lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
daven8844x
Not Yet Wild

Default Wheel wobble - brake drum?

I have been trying to cure a wheel wobble issue on rear drivers side. I have a new axle and it is better. However, when I put the drum back on, in some rotational positions it slides on and in others, it is a tight fit. In some rotational positions once installed, the drum spins freely when I hit the accelerator with a little wobble, and in others it makes a knocking sound or has an intermittent spin (like it is getting hung up on a brake). Any thoughts? Drum out of round (thus need new drum)? Bad hub?

Thanks in advance.

--Dave
daven8844x is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Kudaman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Wheel wobble - brake drum?

Sounds like there is more then one issue here. The drum could be a little out of round due to the way it fits on the hub. The knocking sound is strange. Does it go away or change when you put the drum on in a different stud hole? Could be the differential making noise. Does it change going around corners? The wobble could be a tire issue too. Check tire pressures and make sure there isn't a broken belt in the tire.
Kudaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

To check if the tires are wobbly, trade sides and see if the problem follows the tire.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Kudaman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
To check if the tires are wobbly, trade sides and see if the problem follows the tire.
Definately try that. I'd suggest rotate the tires to the opposite corner. That should make it really obvious!...if it is a tire issue.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
daven8844x
Not Yet Wild

It's not a knocking, I guess, it is a scraping, but it is clearly caused by the drum contacting the brake pads as it rotates out of round. I think I will try switching the drum with the one from the other side today. No reason I cannot do that, right? I think the drum is the same on both sides.

Thanks for the wheel advice, but I can see the issue with the drum after I remove the wheel, so I do not think the wheels are an issue (or they may still be, but the drum is as well).

Thanks for you help,
Dave
Old 06-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

My drums make a slight scraping noise. It's kind of a trade-off between no scraping, and being able to lock 'em up at high speed. One thing to check is to drive several miles, then touch the drum or at least the lug nuts, to see if they're developing excess heat. In my case, I believe the drums are slightly out of round. I never tried rotating them in 90° increments to see if it might improve.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Almost all of the Ezgo brake drum hubs are slightly out of round.... that is why the shoe only drags in one spot when rotated on 95% of them. I suppose in an extreme case this could cause a wobble. But my first guess is a tire problem.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Kudaman
Gone Wild

Club Car

If it is a scraping noise then it is likely the dust shield. Just grab a screw driver and bend it out so it doesn't contact the drum. If you take the drum off chip any rust off the outer edge of the drum with a hammer.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
daven8844x
Not Yet Wild

Definitely drum. I switched drums and now the other side wobbles and drivers is fine. I got my cart from a golf course. Axle was bent, so I assume the impact that did that also whacked the drum out of line.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have this same problem!

Matt
pjmia96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO