lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default G29 will not turn over. What to check for??

My wife drove the cart to the inlaws in the rain and 2 hours later got on to return home and it will not turn over. The starter generator is doing its job turning the belt just not getting fire to start the engine.. Battery is good, plenty of gas. What should I check for first before taking it to the shop tomorrow?? It's a 2009 g29 drive.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: G29 will not turn over. What to check for??

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...turn-over.html
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Yeah I read through all that before i posted. My starter is spinning over just fine and is turning the primary clutch. Just the engine isn't getting fire to startup. Ran perfectly fine before the wife went through a water puddle and came back and parked. Pulling the choke and trying to start I can smell plenty of fuel like its flooding out. Gonna ho out later and see if spark plug is firing. Is there like a switch under the pedal that will not allow the coil to fire? I'm sure something got wet just don't know where to start looking.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Ok I checked out all the voltages on the coil and the generator.. Getting at least 11.5-11.9 while the pedal is pressed and while the starter is turning the belt. I removed to spark plug and its getting plenty spark. Bout made my fingers go numb lol.. The only thing I found was a 10amp fuse blown in the factory harness just below the battery. Replaced fuse to a 15amp and still same as before no engine fire. The fuel filter is half full of fuel so I'm sure it's getting fuel.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Ok one last update.. Now as soon as I turn the key to the on the position the starter starts turning while not even pressing the accelerator. WTH???
Old 07-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Ok guys I got everything solved and got the cart running. The issue with the cart starting without pressing the pedal was the stop switch under the gas pedal. The inside terminals were corroded and the little ball inside came out of the spring.

The starting problem ended up being the 2 jets inside the bowl were clogged with some type of red stuff like rust. The bowl was full of gunk as well. After 2 cans of carb cleaner everything is back running stronger than ever.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
Ok guys I got everything solved and got the cart running. The issue with the cart starting without pressing the pedal was the stop switch under the gas pedal. The inside terminals were corroded and the little ball inside came out of the spring.

The starting problem ended up being the 2 jets inside the bowl were clogged with some type of red stuff like rust. The bowl was full of gunk as well. After 2 cans of carb cleaner everything is back running stronger than ever.

Ethanol fuel is tough on small engines. I had gunk in my carb when I took it apart to replace the jets. Gave it a thorough cleaning. But I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it gunks up again.

I was going to suggest the stop switch as the culprit, but I see you found it already. Water and electrics don't mix....
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
dbmachine
Gone Wild

The cart is a 09 so I'm sure it's used the ethanol fuel since it was new. The last 3 tanks I've used is the non ethanol which the cart actually ran a little better since changing fuels. The stop switch I'm guessing broke because I pressed the pedal so many times trying to trouble shoot the possible problems. I did use some dielectric grease on all the electrical plugs I could find while I was troubleshooting. After a good afternoon of tinkering with the cart it's pretty simple to work on. I don't think I would be capable of tearing into the engine or the rear end but everything else electrical, fuel, spark wise I could troubleshoot now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha