lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
mattstoc
Not Yet Wild

Default G9 - Fuel - Air - Issues

I am trying to resurrect a 1994 - G9.

Last week I was here and got help from y'all finding a wiring diagram. That helped greatly. I can now make it run by squirting starting fluid in front of the carb (air box is off).

I assume I should rebuild the fuel pump and carb next. I have never rebuilt a carb (on cars I have others do it, on small engines I have always just replaced). Does someone have a post for how to rebuild a carb on a G9, then the subsequent mixture settings.

Thanks in advance.
mattstoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
mattstoc
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G9 - Fuel - Air - Issues

Sorry - I forgot to mention why I think it is more the carb than the fuel pump. I rigged a gravity feed fuel tank and line to the carb. and could not get it to start. When I pulled the carb, fuel dumped out, but it was full of junk. Junk = grit and dirt. There is a bolt on the bottom of the bowl. That had rust and gunk on the end that goes into the bowl
Old 07-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
mattstoc
Not Yet Wild

More Info. Well I tore into the carb. That is definitely an issue (the pump may be bad as well, haven't tested that yet). The carb had all sorts of gunk in it. The float needle valve was so gunked up that I could not blow through it. I disassembled and am soaking in sea foam to try and clean the gunk. I will soak overnight, brush with brass brush and repeat.

I hesitate to buy a rebuild kit (they seem to run around $65) when a new carb is $120. Seems like new would be a more definitive fix (especially with a novice carb rebuilder).

I would appreciate inputs and expertise.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
dbmachine
Gone Wild

I just removed my carb from my g29 this weekend and gave it a good cleaning. I'm like you just a novice but after tinkering with it it's no problem at all now to take apart and clean. The 2 jets in the bowl of my carb were clogged up. The bowl was full of all kind of junk like red looking rust balls. That single bolt on the bottom of my carb was tight as heck.

I had the same concerns that a new carb is not too much more than a rebuild kit. The fuel pump what I did to test it's function was remove the fuel hose that goes to the carb and put a zip lock bag around the nipple on the pump. Just pressed the pedal for a second to check for flow. Plenty of flow enough to shoot across the cart if functioning properly. So put a bag around it for safety or run a separate hose to a jug.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
mattstoc
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for telling me how you tested your pump. I was thinking along those lines.

On the carb, I have a follow on question. The tube that runs down into the bowl. The bottom of that tube has two openings/holes. The bigger hole in the bottom (the bolt that holds the bowl screws into the hole I am talking about) looks like it has a jet screwed in about 1.25 inches deep. However, it does not seem to want to budge. This is compounded by the screwdrivers I have. The skinny long screwdriver does not seem wide enough to hit both shoulders of the "jet". My bigger screwdrivers won't fit inside the tube to reach the "jet". I am thinking a few minutes on the grinder will make a tool that will work. However, before I ruin a screwdriver (albeit cheap), I do want to ensure that it is really a "jet" down in there and that I should be pulling it.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Yes that tube you are speeking of has a jet in the side of it and way down in the tube is another longer jet. I used a long skinny screwdriver to remove it. It was tight but I managed to free it up. That jet will have several holes in the sides.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
Yes that tube you are speeking of has a jet in the side of it and way down in the tube is another longer jet. I used a long skinny screwdriver to remove it. It was tight but I managed to free it up. That jet will have several holes in the sides.

The holes in the side must be very clean, pluck a bristle from a wire brush to clean them. Take the carb with you and get the right screwdriver. Yes its money but proper tools pay for themselves.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
dbmachine
Gone Wild

I used a screwdriver made by Klein that was about 10" long. The blade fit the inside of the tube perfectly and the flat end fit just right on the jet on the inside. Don't go and start grinding on your snapon brand drivers..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha