lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Mike805
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 96 Club Car dies under acceleration

Ok so I got a spark tester. Hooked it up and pressed on the throttle. Weak spark for a second then it died. I pumped the accelerator several times like in the past and it finally started (this was in maintenance mode). Good spark and seemed to rev fine. I took it out of maintenance mode, hopped on, put it in reverse and started to back up. Went about 3 feet and it died, wouldn't start again. Opened everything back up, back in maintenance mode. Got it running again by using the same method. I also opened up the jet on the carb to 3 1/2 turns. Hopped back on and drove around for about 10 minutes or so. Waited a 1/2 hour, drove around a little more. I'm hoping the carb was dirty when I first cleaned it and wouldn't run after because the jet wasn't opened up enough. I'm going to let it sit for several hours and try it again either tonight or tomorrow morning. Hopefully it was just adjustments. Is there anything connected to the axle, like a sensor or something, that wouldn't show up in maintenance made but will give me problems when I actually try to drive? I think my first step if it dies immediately is to pull the ground wire for the rev limiter to see if it runs after. If it doesn't, I can at least eliminate that as an issue. Any input?
Mike805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
Mike805
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So this morning it was the same old thing. Would just kill everything when I would try to accelerate. Pulled the ground for the rev limiter. Still took a bit but finally started. I was thinking maybe it wouldn't go because it was flooded from initially pressing the accelerator so many times. Hooked the rev limiter back up, floored it. It ran for a couple of seconds then died. Took it back off, took a bit again then started up and ran. Hooked it back up and it ran. Then died again. Back and forth again, eventually hooked it back up and drove around for another 10 minutes. It seems to run great once it's warmed up. I'm not convinced its the rev limiter because of this. Almost seems like when it's cold, it refuses to start, once it's been running, it's fine. Does this sound like a problem anyone has heard of? I don't want to just start throwing parts at it if I don't even know what the problem is. Thanks, Mike
Old 08-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
Mike805
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

This is getting frustrating. I'm back to square one. I have to pump the accelerator together it to start. Runs for a couple of seconds then dies. I can watch the spark die with the spark tester hooked up. Now it's even dying when I'm driving it around. In maintenance mode, it is doing the same thing, even with the rev limiter unhooked. I have no idea what I should do at this point.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

It sounds to me like your coil is on its way out. They tend to start failing intermittently.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
It sounds to me like your coil is on its way out. They tend to start failing intermittently.

Agreed ^^^ unusual for a coil to fail when cold but certainly not unheard of. The ignition system is ludicrously simple on these carts. Take the rev limiter out of the equation and your left with nothing more than a Lawn mower ignition. The only difference is the igniter which on a 96 should be built into the coil. Earlier carts (post FE) had a separate igniter located down under the cylinder.

Chris
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
Mike805
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok, I will start with replacing the coil. Any idea where the best place to get one is? I've read several posts about getting new,bad coils.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #17
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike805 View Post
Ok, I will start with replacing the coil. Any idea where the best place to get one is? I've read several posts about getting new,bad coils.

The vendors here will have them or you can try Ebay. I just ordered in a couple last week @ $65.00 each. I never had a bad coil out of the box but some folks have reported that they have.

Chris.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Mike805
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok. I have seen a couple websites that say the combined coil and igniter is for 97 and up.is that accurate? I don't want to order the wrong part.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:40 AM   #19
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike805 View Post
Ok. I have seen a couple websites that say the combined coil and igniter is for 97 and up.is that accurate? I don't want to order the wrong part.
96 and up should be inbuilt into the coil. That's when they deleted the ignitor as a separate unit from the ignition system. The push on terminal will face to the right as you mount the coil onto the engine block. External ignitor coil terminals will face left. Cheaper but wont work.

Chris.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car