lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
jledwrd2
Not Yet Wild

Default 08 ez go txt Brake Concern

Just got an electric 08 TXT love the cart so far but I am concerned that the breaks are a little loose. If I am on any type of hill I need to lock the breaks just to get the cart to slow down and it takes a long time for it to stop completely. Any thoughts from the experts here.
jledwrd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 08 ez go txt Brake Concern

if nothing else, its time to remove the wheels and drums and inspect the brakes. They could just be real dirty and the adjusters not working properly.

I have a 07 TXT that I got a few months ago, and my brakes were like yours. I figured a brake job was in order. before I ordered the new shoes, I took the drums off and found the shoes were in good shape, just needed to clean/lube and get them properly adjusted. I have been good to go ever since, and NOW I can lock them up at full throttle if need be.

If you don't have a Tech Service Manual for your cart, here ya go.... the brakes section is Section L.

http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/28646.pdf

oh and btw......CONGRATS on your ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wive's, husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

By lock the brakes, do you mean you are locking the parking brake or are you actually sliding the rear tires?

The brakes are self adjusting, but are a little tricky to get them to self adjust.

Drive at a moderate speed, fully apply brakes and then release brake pedal while cart is still rolling.
(Self adjuster doesn't tighten unless cart is still rolling.)

Note: Only push on lower portion of brake pedal so parking brake does not engage.

Sounds like your brakes are really loose, so it may take several stop cycles to tighten them up.

If they don't start sliding the tires after two or three dozen brake adjusting stop cycles, the self adjusters need to be serviced or replace.

Also, could be worn out brake shoes.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
jledwrd2
Not Yet Wild

I looked at the shoes and they look great I will try the self adjust method you suggested.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
jledwrd2
Not Yet Wild

I need to lock the parking break to get the cart to stop on the hill. I have never gotten the cart to skid.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You may need to take the star adjusters out and clean them. They get clogged with brake dust and will quit spinning. I for one would not lube them however, just clean them. When you put them back on and the brakes back together, leave the hub off and have someone hit the brakes. You should see them adjust 1 click for each pedal push. Do this for each side and put the hubs back on. Keep pushing the pedal until the clicking stops and you should be good to go. I don't know if rolling is required but it can't hurt. I have however heard that they will adjust more if going backwards ?? That a drag on the shoe thing ?
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is how the Service manual explains how the self adjustors work.
No mention of direction cart is traveling in, so I guess either way will work.

Back when cars had drum brakes, they only adjusted when stopping while going in reverse, and I think some of the early Marathons were like that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake adjuster.JPG (89.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Maybe in reverse it takes some tension off the turning side of the adjuster.. hmmm elifino..
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

as kgsc mentioned, and what was going on with mine, was the brake dust in the adjusting mechanism. after I cleaned it up, and put it back together and adjusted it all, the brakes worked great. AND the manual even states not to put any lube in the star nuts.....
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
jledwrd2
Not Yet Wild

I will also try cleaning it. What have you found is the best way to clean it.

Tags
brakes, electric ezgo, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO