lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Drrip
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Corrorded battery supports

I have a 2003 DS ie club cart. I just replaced all battery mounts because of being completely corroded out. My question is this normal, is from the batteries overcharging or filling the batteries to high. I use a auto water bottle and it fills to just below the water level plastic collar in the watering hole. I have noticed acid on top of the batteries after charging and I add water only when the batteries are fully charge. I painted the new mounts to try to prevent more corroding. The corrosion was so bad that in ate though one of the supports and it came out when I pulled the battery. It was a fun job welding in new supports. I used 3/16's aluminum angle 1.25", I think that's more beefier than what was factory installed.
Drrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Corrorded battery supports

Yeah this happens if you overfill the batteries. Just don't over fill them; water should be 1/4" above the plates...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have one newer battery in a fairly tired 36v pack. I notice significantly more liquid on top of the older batteries and actually very little on the newer one.

It isn't overfilling in this case, they just seem to burn through more fluid as they age.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The problem is that the Older batteries have less capacity than the new one. That means they are overcharged when charging (and the new one is not) Overcharging causes the gassing that pushes liquid out of the caps. Some of this is normal because the charger must slightly overcharge to keep a series battery pack balanced. It is never a good idea to only replace some of the batteries in a series pack. It's hard on all of them.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Drrip
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I used a golf tee to measure the water level in the cells an they were at about 1/2" so that explains the spillage, so now I have to figure out a way to monitor the level in the cells when adding water. Is there bottles with longer fill tubes to lower the fill level? Or do I need to rig up a bottle with a tube and eyeball the level in the cells. I was under the believe that the water level should come up to the bottom of the split which in my case is 3/4" above the plates. Any thoughts on this. As far as replacing one battery in a pack is a bad idea, the rest are not far behind and will over task the new battery taking it down sooner. This will end up costing you more money in the long run.
Drrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
crash test dummy

turkey baster !!!

Old 10-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

There should be a Fill Ring inside the battery that you want to keep the level just below. The way to prevent overfilling is to always fill after charging - not before. The level rises during charging.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car