lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: need advise on cart purchase

On a newer EZ PDS cart you want to identify the drive system. If it is thew new PDII system you might want to look for something older to modify. Ideally for the woods you find yourself a series drive cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspect XX View Post
So you get more torque and speed out of a converted cart? Why is that?
If you apply 48v to a stock 36v electric motor it will spin 30% faster and make 30% more torque because you are feeding it 30% more voltage. It's well proven and will not excessively stress the motor much. I have taken stock 36v motors and run 72v through them. That is the point where they could fail from heat and rpm.

If you have a 48v motor, well there isn't as much you can do with them and they are no faster then their 36v cousins.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

On the flip side you buy a 48 volt from a dealer and you get a warranty plus it is ready to go. Buy a 36 volt purchase a 48 volt charger plus batteries you will probably run into heat issues burn up solenoids and switches have to upgrade everything eventually and void any warranty. No headaches and still cheaper buy 48 volt. Everyone has opinions thought. When golf courses want a more powerful cart they don't convert 36 volt carts to 48, they buy 48 volt carts.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I truly don't understand your post. A proper 48v conversion has all new components except for the motor which can take the extra voltage like a champ. There are no problems after conversion. Ask around.

A conversion is also easily handled by the average joe. No rocket science there. Nothing against dealers and "warranty" but for the prices they charge you can get a nice second had cart private owner and convert and have money left over.

As for golf course 48v carts having more "power", they go the same 12-14mph as a 36v cart so where's the more power part?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I live in a golf cart community. We drive them all over town. My RXV has never been passed and since I bought mine 2 years ago there are now 8 on my street. Not even a converted 48 volt TXT can keep up. The A/C system is superior, less maintenance, longer run time and for off road limited slip rear end. You can buy conversion kits I agree but why go thru the hassle? Power is more than speed what about climbing hills. I can haul 5 people up a heal and only drop 1 or 2 mph. Besides courses like Pebble Beach use RXV's exclusively that must mean something. Would you agree Sportcoupe anyways back to the original post that $2300 is to much for an off the course 36 volt TXT? I know everyone has opinions on drive systems. I am just saying for $2300 he could have a RXV which is better in every way when comparing stock carts.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The OP wants something to off-road a little in (hunting cart). I've heard that RXV's have almost no torque from a stop. To me that's no good off-road. My local used cart dealer doesn't sell RXV's either due to the issues in early models. I can't say I'd recommend one for a new buyer.

BTW, I pass cars in my converted 48v TXT. It does 36 mph and can snap your neck on take-off. You might say I'm a little partial to TXT's.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #17
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just a guess but to get 36mph you must have high speed gears. I have never had a problem with torque and mine is in the woods all the time. The limited slip has got me through some pretty bad mud too. Put high speed gears in an RXV and you will get around 42mph.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I like my series in North Georgia.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO