lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
firenfix
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery charge question

06 TXT 36 volt with new batts.

Should it take 10 - 12 hours for the automatic charger to shut off after moderate use? Also, is approximately 46 volts going into the batts while charging normal and 44 volts at the batts with the charger turned off reasonable? Thanks.......
firenfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery charge question

The specific answers to all three questions depends on what charger is being used.

However, in general terms:
New batteries take longer to charge. The initial charge may exceed 16 hours, but 10-12 hours does sound a bit long for batteries than have been charged a few times.

The typical charger shutoff voltage is in the 44-46 volt range. Some chargers go higher.

The voltage shortly after the charger shuts of will be close to the max voltage reached while charging.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
firenfix
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Seems a little long to me, the batteries have been charged at least 30 times since installed a few months back. Everything does seem to check out though?

EZGO PowerWise 2
Old 01-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
whizzo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

How good are your charging and battery contacts?

If your charger has an ammeter.....how is it reading.

25 amp charger and 220is amp hour battery bank.....10 hours pluss a bit seems a fair charge time for a full charge......but if the initial charge current is down, due to what ever cause..ya charge times will blow out.

cheers
whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You know hate to say it , those power wise chargers SUCK ,
Don't ask me how I know , get a high end charger like a DPI the one Scotty B sells ( site sponsor) you will not regret it , prob save you money , maintains batts in tip top shape
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:14 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

A PW-II is a ferroresonant transformer type charger, so the Amp flow depends on the what the On-Charge voltage is at the time.

If the pack voltage is below about 42V, the current should be above 18A.
If it isn't, the problem could be in either the charger or the cart.

Cart:
Excessive resistance in the charge loop, reduces Amp flow and will extend charging time, but typically undercharges battery pack.
What is the pack voltage and individual battery voltages 12 hours after charger shuts off automatically?

A fully charged 36V pack should be 38.2V and each 6V battery should read 6.37V and all six should be within 0.1V of each other. New batteries may read a bit higher.

Charger:
The charger is turning on and shutting off, so the control board is okay. (Turning charger On and Off is all the control board does.)
That leaves the Diode assembly, Transformer and Capacitor.

You can check the Diodes with an Ohmmeter.
Attached is how to check the Transformer and Capacitor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-05-2014, 04:57 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great white north View Post
You know hate to say it , those power wise chargers SUCK ,
Don't ask me how I know , get a high end charger like a DPI the one Scotty B sells ( site sponsor) you will not regret it , prob save you money , maintains batts in tip top shape
Not all Powerwise chargers suck, just the Powerwise-QE.

The older ferroresonant transformer design chargers are both reliable and 100% reparable, and many of them have been charging cart batteries for decades. Granted, the Powerwise, the Powerwise-Plus and the Powerwise-II do have their limitations, but they are the same limitations shared by all ferroresonant transformer design chargers. The main limitation being the use of a predetermined voltage to terminate the charge rather than dV/dT technology.

The DPI Accusense (And some others) combine the reliability of a step-down transformer input with a microprocessor controlled output that uses dV/dT to terminate the charge. In addition, the DPI Accusense goes into float charge after the regular charge cycle terminates, which gives you a fully charged pack at the start of your trip, rather than one that has been self-discharging since the charger shut off. Also a helpful feature for long term storage.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well IO will put in my two cents.....10-12 hrs to charge isn't that bat, it really depends on how low your batteries got before to charged them. If I have a LONG day of carting and get the pack voltage down in the 60 - 70% SOC range.....it may take that long to charge the pack. I have the same charger you have, and my batteries are higher capacity than standard......and its normal for my pack to take 12 hrs to charge when they get that low.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
firenfix
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the feedback, I think my charger and batts are working as they should. I was not aware that the charger put out 46 plus volts, that surprised me a bit. The last couple of charges were closer to ten hours after pretty heavy use.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO