lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #21
hookemtx120
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Yes, another newbie battery question

Thanks Kojo, another good idea. After doing some more thinking, I am down to either adding two slightly used/new 210AH 6 volts in the bag well or replacing them all with 6 8v Crown CR190. I already have the 48v charger on the way from Scotty, so I need to make a decision soon. I am still concerned about the added weight in the bag well since I plan to haul a lot of weight on my flip bed when filling feeders and hauling deer. I do have the heavy duty springs back there, but still another 100lbs of battery is something to consider. I am OK with the money end of this, it is now a question is which is better for my needs.
hookemtx120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #22
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Not trying to talk you. into anything but, I have the same heavy duty springs plus my cart has a heavy metal body. The extra battery weight in the bag well helped the ride. Those HD springs are stiff! Cruising the RV campgrounds, I have had four people on the cart with no problem at all.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #23
hookemtx120
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree on the springs. I have some friends that are BIG boys and they could not believe how stiff it was when they jumped on the back.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #24
hookemtx120
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I did just install 6 8 volt Crown CR190 and the voltmeter from Scotty. Charged all night and it is reading 52.7 off the charger. The chart shows 50.96 for 100% charge on 48v. Just want to be sure that it is reading right and that it can be higher than what the chart shows.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemtx120 View Post
I did just install 6 8 volt Crown CR190 and the voltmeter from Scotty. Charged all night and it is reading 52.7 off the charger. The chart shows 50.96 for 100% charge on 48v. Just want to be sure that it is reading right and that it can be higher than what the chart shows.
Question is: How long off the charger?

About 12 hours rest is what the charts are set up for.

Yes, new batteries can and often do read higher than the charts.

Also, most of the charts floating around out there are for Trojan batteries and different brands have different voltages at 100% SoC, but they all seem to measure about the same at 90% and below.

Attached are charts for Trojan and US Battery, Crown will probably be someplace between those two, I know my Exides are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage - Trojan Battery.JPG (56.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage - US Battery.JPG (58.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #26
hookemtx120
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB. It finished charging late last night and I took the reading this morning. I will run to 75% and then charge again to make sure I am breaking them in properly. Of course it is raining and cool here today so that should make the morning ride fun.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemtx120 View Post
Thanks JohnnieB. It finished charging late last night and I took the reading this morning. I will run to 75% and then charge again to make sure I am breaking them in properly. Of course it is raining and cool here today so that should make the morning ride fun.
That was probably 8 hours or more rest, so it should be in the ballpark.

When out and about, let the pack rest 5-15 minutes before using the voltage to estimate SOC.
After the cart stops, the pack voltage will climb for an hour and more, but most of the change is in the first few minutes.

You don't have to discharge the down to 75% SoC, you just shouldn't discharge the more than down to 75% SoC for the first dozen or two charge cycles. Only discharging them down to 90% or 80% is fine.

If your normal usage doesn't take the pack down to the 75% range, intentionally take a few longer trips during the first dozen or so charge cycles, After that, use the cart the way you normally would.

Also, charge after each use, or after each day's use if you are only making a bunch of short trips.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #28
hookemtx120
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks again!! It was like you were reading my mind, I was about to ask about pack voltage climb and how long you wait to get an accurate reading. It seemed to go up about .3 or .4 after 5 minutes of rest.

I did find the Crown SoC information, but they give ranges, not exact, for those that are interested

100% SOC - Specific Gravity - 1.265 or greater
75% - 1.225 - 1.235
50% - 1.19 - 1.200
25% - 1.150 - 1.175
Discharged - 1.125 or less
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Crown SOC Voltage.pdf (654.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #29
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The voltage recover rate is non-linear and most of it occurs in the first few minutes, but it actually continues until the recovery rate matches the sel;f discharge rate, which may be hours.

When I'm out and about and want to know when it is time to head back home and charge the battery, I only wait until the 0.1 digit stops changing so fast, or about five minutes. The nice thing is that when you read the voltage sooner, you underestimate the SoC, so the error is on the safe side and you get home with more energy stored in your battery pack than calculated.

When I'm doing some serious battery testing, I let them rest 30 minutes.
The difference between 30 minutes and an hour is only about 0.04 volts on a 36V pack.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO