lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Only moves after disconnecting & reconnecting battery pack

Bad OBC?

Some versions of OBC control solenoid activation......
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #12
Dustinboyd
Not Yet Wild

Yes, bad OBC, which is why I bought the new charger. I checked out the wiring again today. So I have two wires going to the negative side of the battery pack...the big main one that goes to the cart itself, and another which goes directly to the solenoid like a previous post was talking about. When I was disconnecting and reconnecting the negative wires, I was disconnecting/reconnecting both.

From what I'm gathering, this means a bad solenoid or controller?
Dustinboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #13
Dustinboyd
Not Yet Wild

Sorry, I didn't mean to be contradicting to my last post-I actually have 4 wires going to the negative of the battery pack:
1-main negative to the cart
2-wire I just found out goes directly to solenoid
3-voltmeter
4-to charger receptacle to make new charger work

I don't think any of that matters but I didn't want to be confusing.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #14
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . not sure how your cart is currently bypassing the OBC, but your issue sounds like the GO/NO GO control circuit in the OBC may still be functional in your system and is intermittently failing . . . by disconnecting the battery from the system, it is doing a reset (allowing applicable components to discharge) and then allowing system to function, until OBC control circuit takes a crap again . . . just my 2 cents . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I would seriously consider removing the OBC from the cart completely ..... what yr cart are we talking about?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree, what you have done is not bypassing the OBC activation circuit.
In sepex systems, the OBC does not directly control the solenoid, it only provides a signal to the controller, it is up to the controller logic to activate the solenoid and send power to the motor.
If you look at this diagram: Regen-1 diagram
You will see the Green(#37) and Yellow(#31) coming from the OBC to the controller.
I think the Green(#37) needs to be +48v when the OBC thinks it is ok to drive the cart.
If you look at the HOT side of the solenoid, there is Red(#42) wire and a fuse. That is the power to the OBC. Next time you have the problem, disconnect that fuse and reconnect it and see if it fixes the problem.
If it does, You can move that Red(#42) wire to the solenoid coil small connector where the Blue wire coming from the key switch is connected to. That way the OBC will be powered off every time you turn the key switch off.

You may need to splice the Green(#37) and Red wires going into the OBC together in order to bypass the OBC activation circuit, but I would get confirmation from TahoeDawg if that is the right procedure for this controller/obc setup, otherwise you can use the temporary solution I mentioned.
Good luck.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #17
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I would seriously consider removing the OBC from the cart completely ..... what yr cart are we talking about?
. . according to OP, it's a 95 CC 48v . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . according to OP, it's a 95 CC 48v . . .
95 ......series cart & first year OBC - removal should be fairly simple
Old 04-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #19
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Actually folks - Its a Regen 1 like mine (insert doom music here). I really don't know if its the controller or not in this case. I don't think he's tried jumping the main solenoid yet (eg solenoid getting stuck/reset) but thats easy to test by mounting both big cables to one post - (the extra description is for OP, I know you guys know how to do it).

Then if that fails - its (T shaped GE) controller test time. Still no reason he can't eliminate OBC, though, he's got it bypassed anyway based on his description I think.

Edit: Wait - Sergio is right - the Regen 1 circuit is not bypassed yet in the controller - hopefully Sergio's description plus the diagram will allow this poster to get around the controller activation circuit (which I originally suspected is really whats going on here).
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #20
Dustinboyd
Not Yet Wild

I hate electronics, but the above posts make sense. I'll try jumping the solenoid and then Sergios recommendation. Sounds like that should be the fix. I may have to wait a week or so to update though, as it seems to happen only after sitting for awhile.

Thanks to everyone
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car