lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #1
kd_r
Not Yet Wild

Question Ezgo moving slow

I have a 2008 model TXT Standard (PDS). It recently started moving at about half speed or slower. I checked the batteries with a hydrometer and found one bad cell in one battery. I replaced that battery. Still ran slow. I replaced all battery cables except the ones going to the controller and cleaned all the battery posts. It starts off normal and after about 10 seconds slows down to maybe half speed. Any suggestions on what to check next.
kd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo moving slow

maybe more than 1 weak battery. Attach a DVM to the battery pack and note the standing still voltage then drive and note the voltage reading when the cart slows down.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
kd_r
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to do that this weekend. I did check the battery voltage immediately after stopping and got 37.4. I will charge the batteries and then follow your instructions. Thanks Again.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
kd_r
Not Yet Wild

I checked the battery voltage, standing voltage is 37.7, while driving it dropped to 35.5. I then check the individual batteries and got the following readings:

battery standing voltage loaded going up slight incline
1 6.2 5.9
2 6.25 5.93
3 6.24 5.95
4 6.25 5.97
5 6.3 5.95
6 6.29 5.95
All voltages immediately came back to above 6 when reaching the top of the incline.
5 of the batteries are Trojan 105's don't know the age and battery #4 is a new interstate battery.
Are these readings normal?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Your batteries are not fully charged.
Fully charged pack should be 38.2V and each battery should be 6.37V.

37.7V = 86%

1 6.20 = 72%
2 6.25 = 80%
3 6.24 = 79%
4 6.25 = 80%
5 6.30 = 88%
6 6.29 = 87%

There is the possibility they are not holding a full charge, but battery# 4 is new and should hold its charge, so I suspect a charger or charging issue.

What charger (Make/Model) are you using and what is the On-Charge pack voltage just prior to the charger shutting off?

-------------
Date code for Trojan batteries is stamped into negative post. Letter is the month and number is the year. IE: L6 is Dec-2006
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
kd_r
Not Yet Wild

Thanks,
I'll get the information from the charger and post that, also thanks for the date code info.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #7
kd_r
Not Yet Wild

My charger is an EZGO PowerWise QE Model 915-3610. I connected the charger yesterday and periodically checked the voltage. The highest reading I got was 45.4. Don't know where it topped out. I checked it this morning. The green light on the charger was showing steady state indicating 100% charged. I got 38.0 volts. I drove the cart. It started it off normal and in less than 5 seconds it slowed down to a crawl.
I understand that the batteries may not be 100% charged. However, what point of discharge would cause the cart to slow down to a crawl? Before this problem started it would gradually slow down as the batteries weakened. Now the decrease in speed is almost instantaneous and drastic.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Put it in diagnostic mode and drive it. Are there any beep codes?

Text at the bottom of attached label tells you how to put the PDS controller in diagnostic mode and lists various beep codes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Based upon the charger readings and the after charge voltage and the battery history I would say you are due for a new battery pack.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:43 AM   #10
kd_r
Not Yet Wild

Put in diagnostic mode and got a 1-3 speed sensor fault.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO