lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
timberframe
Not Yet Wild

Default Precedent Predictament

My (4) 12volt trojan batteries on my 2007 precedent are getting very weak. I am getting only 5 minutes tops of run time. The problem is we only have about 250.00 to put toward batteries. My choices are to:
(1) replace with four used batteries at a cost of 300.00 with no warranty
(2) replace with four new deep cycle marine batteries at 300.00
(3) replace 2 of the four with similar trojan golfcart batteries at 400.00
Any recommendations?
timberframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Precedent Predictament

(4) none of the above

1 is a temp fix and with no guarantee (only if you can not get new)

2 & 3 are a waste of money

batteries are a long term investment , save to get new batteries, you do not have to have Trojans
Old 05-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

used with no warranty (take a load tester ) if test good , maybe $150......but if you plan on staying in this , save and get new like CTD said.....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't know what you use your cart for but with gas getting as expensive as it is. You may save a couple hundred dollars using your electric cart for errands instead of buying that expensive gasoline.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
timberframe
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: Precedent Predictament

What are the differences between 12 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries and 12 volt deep cycle Marine/RV batteries?
timberframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

I believe heavier lead plates (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!). The 12 volt golf cart batteries will last much longer between charges and in overall battery life, as 12 volt marine batteries aren't made to withstand the rigorous discharge and recharge cycles a cart puts batteries through. 6 8 volt cart batteries will last even longer, lots of guys convert to that setup, and even Club Car did after a couple years of problems with lifespan on the 4 12 volt carts.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberframe View Post
What are the differences between 12 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries and 12 volt deep cycle Marine/RV batteries?
Golf cart batteries are made to withstand continual deeper discharges and be able to recover than marine batteries are, as I understand it. The main thing to understand is that there is a difference and if marine batteries were sufficient, they wouldn't make golf cart batteries.

Your original question is sort of like asking "I need to go somewhere 500 miles away but only have gas to go 250 miles, how can I make it the whole way without walking or hitching a ride?". Reminds of me of the saying "You gotta pay to play". As for your option 3 - using the analogy here, that would be like trying to add water to the gas to make it last longer. I'd only buy used batteries if I knew they were still good and knew where they came from and why the person was getting rid of supposedly good batteries.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

Timberframe,

No disrespect but you got to come up with the extra cash or just sell your cart.. 2nd job?

Steve
caokgafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
greg-g
Gone Wild

These posts are upsetting there is no info just guessing. Year of cart means nothing what is the date stamp on the batteries, load test your batteries don't guess, you may have one bad cell, one used battery may work great. just maybe there's something wrong with your cart also. maybe your brakes arn't releasing what does it do just stop have you felt any cables solenoid controller motor for heat.
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberframe View Post
My (4) 12volt trojan batteries on my 2007 precedent are getting very weak. I am getting only 5 minutes tops of run time. The problem is we only have about 250.00 to put toward batteries. My choices are to:
(1) replace with four used batteries at a cost of 300.00 with no warranty
(2) replace with four new deep cycle marine batteries at 300.00
(3) replace 2 of the four with similar trojan golfcart batteries at 400.00
Any recommendations?
You will actually waste more money in the long run by doing any of these three things.
The best and most cost effective thing to do is buy 4 new golf cart batteries- and like crash said, they don't have to be the most expensive ones, maintenance is everything with batteries.
This is just part of owning an electric cart...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car