lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #11
birdleg
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: OBC issues

Right I'm fixing to round them up and do a check. If bad I do replace the whole 6 inch wire set correct? Also thanks alot for the help! Yall have helped me way more then my dealer. My dealer is good but Yall may have hit the nail on the head. We will see soon. Be back with the answer
birdleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
birdleg
Not Yet Wild

I have had several read open in both directions. So this lil ol diode has caused my 1500$ worth of damage? That's crazy! ! Would have been nice if the cart guys would use the intended charger for that cart but they get mixed up therefore being hooked up into the bad chargers. Is there anything I can look for to catch this sooner?
Old 06-12-2014, 08:19 AM   #13
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Heck for the less price of replacing the OBC you can buy the DPI Chargers and eliminate the OBC. I'd consider that on the next replacement. JMO
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #14
birdleg
Not Yet Wild

How much are the dpi chargers? I get the obc for 160
Old 06-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #15
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Oh.ok, then you're cheaper. Full retail is like 260 I think.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is a less than 25 cents diode on those charger models...

The powerdrive3 no longer uses diodes, they now use a TVS which provides protection in both directions and a 100 ohm resistor. The resistor provides a little protection in the case the TVS goes bad in a open position. If the TVS goes bad in a closed position, the OBC version 3 and higher can detect that because the resistor provides a base voltage reading.

Anyway, you can buy a 1N4007 diode and replace it your self.
If you go that route, the cathode/negative/side_with_the_band of the diode goes with the "white wire".

Otherwise I think you are correct and you need to purchase that small 6 inch wire set.

Unfortunately until you blow an OBC, I don't know of any way to test that the suppression diode has failed. You can always setup a schedule plan to perform the same preventive tests you just did.

Here is a lifetime supply for diodes:
100 - 1N4007 diodes for $6 on Amazon prime. 100 - 1N4007 diodes for $6 on Amazon prime.

Last edited by Sergio; 06-12-2014 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Added link to Amazon for diodes
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #17
birdleg
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for everything Yall have helped me with. I have been dealing with this for so long and spending the clubs money like crazy making me look as if I'm not doing my job. I went ahead and ordered then from my club car dealer which was $48 bux each. Crazy price in my eyes but they will be fixed today. That dealer has never dealt or seen the problem I have. Thanks for the education!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car