lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #1
yellow36vpds
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2002 PDS Performance Options

Hello All, I am a noobie on the forum. I have rebuilt a 2002 EZGO TXT PDS Freedom cart that the wife and I bought as our "summer project". It has T-605 batteries that are about 2 years old, stock controller, solenoid, motor, tires, etc.

My question is around the "performance option" J2 plug. Mine has the "red" plug that basically enables all options. We have a very hilly area and aren't concerned with speed as much as climbing the hills in our neighborhood. If I remove the outer "loop", will this produce more torque, or just limit top end?

Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
yellow36vpds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
yellow36vpds
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 PDS Performance Options

With all of the knowledge among this forum's members, I thought someone would know. I do have plans for an 808 upgrade, but right now I am enjoying my project. Maybe I will reach out to EZGO.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow36vpds View Post
With all of the knowledge among this forum's members, I thought someone would know. I do have plans for an 808 upgrade, but right now I am enjoying my project. Maybe I will reach out to EZGO.
Sorry that no one has answered yet; it may well be that nobody knows the answer without looking it up. I think most of the regular posters on here all have upgraded controllers, and its easy to forget the details of the stock controller when you no longer use it. If you will look in the stickies, you can find a service manual for your exact cart and it will give you the answer if you are willing to dig into it for a few minutes.

I recently bought a 2002 PDS and was really surprised at the performance it had with the stock controller. I didn't measure the speed, but I'm sure it was in the high teens. I bought ScottyB's 909 Package and it runs 24 mph on the default settings. That's too fast for my roads; I've gotta buy the cable to hook it to my laptop and I wanta reduce the speed down to about 20 and have a little more torque for climbing those offroad hills.

You have a good cart and a good system. Good luck with it!
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Stock controller is a weak point as far as torque is concerned, i would look at a Alltrax DCX400, it will give improved speed, and Lots more torque. I think the red plug already gives you all the power available from the stock controller. I think the mod you are thinking about will not improve your torque situation, but will reduce your top speed, and increase regen braking when the gas pedal is not pressed.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:51 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow36vpds View Post
Hello All, I am a noobie on the forum. I have rebuilt a 2002 EZGO TXT PDS Freedom cart that the wife and I bought as our "summer project". It has T-605 batteries that are about 2 years old, stock controller, solenoid, motor, tires, etc.

My question is around the "performance option" J2 plug. Mine has the "red" plug that basically enables all options. We have a very hilly area and aren't concerned with speed as much as climbing the hills in our neighborhood. If I remove the outer "loop", will this produce more torque, or just limit top end?

Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
seeing as how you are not really concerned with speed, but your area is quite hilly....well you have the RED freedom plug as you know/stated. what the best option for you would be to replace it with the BLUE steep hill plug, they are only about $8 from ez-go

https://www.shopezgo.com/products/Pe...roduct_id=1901
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

I have an '07 TXT PDS with stock everything. I have tried the different jumpers and really don't notice much difference in any of them. I know some people have a need for speed but my stock cart goes plenty fast for me and I seldom use full throttle. For steep hills I get more concerned going down them than going up with the marginal stock brakes. I would consider some brake upgrades.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There isn't any difference in torque in the four PDS modes. Just in top speed and/or the amount of regen braking when you take your foot off the pedal.
The attached items list the modes and which pins are jumpered.

I live in hilly terrain also and when I was running a stock PDS controller, I clipped the short jumper between pins 2 & 3 and either ran in Freedom (18.5 MPH - No pedal up regen) or Mild Hill (14.5 MPH - Mild pedal up regen) modes.

My first upgrade was replacing the OEM high current cables (there's a total of 10 of them - and they didn't "Look" bad) with a set of 2Ga with closed end lugs that were silver soldered. That gave me a slight, but noticeable gain in low end torque, but no increase in top speed since the PDS controller limits the max motor RPM based on the mode it is in.

My next upgrade was the 808B package from Carts Unlimited (The "B" package has a 400A Super-Duty solenoid rather than the 200A Heavy Duty solenoid - and the 48V SD solenoid works at 36VC, 42V and 48V) That upped the torque by about 1/3 and upped the top speed to 24 MPH on stock height tires at 36V. (The DCX400 controller does not limit motor RPM)

Then I replaced the six T-105 batteries with seven 245AH Exide batteries for a 42V pack, which increased torque by another 17% and upped the top speed to 28 MPH, and boosted the range to over 30 Miles. The seventh battery fits in the space in front of the right-rear tire.

That was a good setup and I probably would have left it that way except I got carried away and decided to see how fast it would go downhill with the pedal on the floor. I calculate the stock PDS motor was spinning over 8,000 RPM when I lifted my foot and the regen braking kicked in. The armature exploded, the motor seized and I slid to a stop. The totally destroyed motor took the controller with it and I ended up with the setup listed below.

Now my tires run out of traction before my motor runs out of torque and I limit my motor RPM to about 6,500 these days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Mode speed-regen level.JPG (18.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS J2 mode plugs.jpg (130.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
yellow36vpds
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

First, Thank YOU to all who has responded. You have confirmed my initial thoughts that this would not increase my torque. In the interim, I did pull the outer loop and left the "steep hill" loop intact. Test drive, no real difference in top end, but it did feel (seat of the pants) like it had a little more torque.

As I said, this is a "summer project" and the T-605 batteries that came with it are finally equalized and holding a 38.2 pack voltage after a 24hour settling after a full charge. However, I can only get about 3.5 miles out of the charge before I have to "tow" it home. Usually dies just before the bottom of my steep driveway. LOL

Sport windshield is on it's way to me, next expense may be a set of new batteries. However, I am suspecting that the stock solenoid is my current bottleneck (pardon the pun).

That is where the 808 upgrade will come in handy and allow me the flexibility to go upwards to 42V or 48V for more power and torque... arr, arr, arr...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO