lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
emwbuggy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Rear Differential gear problems 99 TXT

The rear end recently locked up in my 99 TXT.
The pin that holds the spider gears in place came loose and damaged the large gear on the intermediate shaft. I bought a used intermediate shaft from Scott Industrial here in Savannah, Great guys lots of knowledge.
Put everything back together but the rear end seems notchy in fwd and reverse. Almost like the gears are not matching up correctly. I noticed when re-assembling that the input shaft and intermediate shaft did not spin freely together but would turn with channelocks. So I continued with the build however, something is definitely not right. I'm running stock gears, fleet series motor, 19 spline shaft. I only replaced the intermediate shaft, should I have replaced the input shaft that came out of the same used diff as the intermediate shaft? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

All bearings are new and turn freely, also the rear wheels both spin freely when turned individually with cart on jack stands.

Last edited by emwbuggy; 07-26-2014 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Additional Info
emwbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rear Differential gear problems 99 TXT

Welcome from one Savannah member to another.

There are no differences between intermediate shafts so the gears are matching correctly. Pull the pan and motor. See if you can spin the ring gear by hand smoothly. The ring gear is the large gear at the bottom under the oil pan.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Welcome, from a former Savannah resident. Technically Wilmington, Tybee, and Talahi Islands. I was in Savannah the first half of this week, attending a conference on Hutchinson Island.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
emwbuggy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sportcoupe....With the cart on jack stands and the motor removed I cannot spin the ring gear smoothly.
While rebuilding the diff before I ever installed the ring gear or axles the intermediate shaft would not spin freely on the input shaft. I should have known something was wrong then but I just assumed the tension between the gears would work its way out once the shafts settled in. I thought about pulling the input shaft to see if the gears would spin freely then....
Old 07-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
emwbuggy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

yurtle...Thanks for the welcome I actually live on Wilmington Island just off of Walthour.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
emwbuggy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sportcoupe thanks for the welcome as well,... if you happened to find your way over toward Betz Creek Plantation sometime this weekend I'd be willing to take care of you for some technical advice.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by emwbuggy View Post
yurtle...Thanks for the welcome I actually live on Wilmington Island just off of Walthour.
I lived on Winchester Dr.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
emwbuggy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I finally figured out the problem and didn't want to leave this issue unanswered in case someone else found themselves in the same predicament.
When I bought the used intermediate gear I should have also bought the input shaft that came from the same diff. Luckily the guys at Scott's Industrial set the input shaft aside and when I went by there the other day they had it ready for me. I installed the input shaft mounted the motor and everything is working great now.

Tags
ezgo txt 99, intermediate gear, rear diff
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO