lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
bbooth
Not Yet Wild

Default Q

Hello All! I have taken my mom's old golf cart that has sat for 8-10 years and am attempting to get it going. Ran great for years and then it had a problem not shifting correctly. We took it to guy that fixed them and he replaced a solenoid. It had another issue and we took it to the gentleman but he had fallen ill and could not fix it and has since passed. From there the cart was replaced and has sat in a barn until this weekend.

I was hoping someone could help me. I have found a lot of useful info on here but am still needing a little bit more. I have a 73 DE that will not move either direction. It has all new batteries. When pressing the pedal I can hear the solenoids clicking. The further down the pedal goes you can hear different solenoids going off but the cart will not move in forward or reverse. Is there a way to test the solenoids? According to what I've read it could be the F or R solenoid. I removed everything form the F solenoid's large terminals and was able to get a good ohm reading on the two upper large terminals. The R solenoid did not give me an ohm reading with everything disconnected. But I'm not sure if I'm testing these correctly. I'm hoping to have a little time tomorrow in the garage with out the children helping me so I can make some headway. Before I go and spend the $100 on the solenoid I'd like to know its bad. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on where to start?

Also a big thanks to rib33024 for the service manual link on another thread! I've got it saved and printed to take home! Doing a little reading on the trouble shooting mentions that the ignition switch could be bad. I did notice that when it is in the center/off position, pressing the accelerator pedal causes the relays to click. Is this normal? If the ignition switch is bad, would it cause the relays to click but the cart not to move?

Last edited by bbooth; 03-26-2019 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Additional info provided.
bbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Default Re: Q

Welcome !
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
Roy Gurley
Gone Wild

Club Car

Location: Retired and live in small town of Timberlake, North Carolina

Welcome to the forum!
Roy Gurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
bbooth
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the warm welcomes!
Old 03-26-2019, 06:19 PM   #5
johnny reb
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

it could be a host of things. the micro switch where the contacts move between the speeds. make sure it works and the wires are hooked up. be sure to jack up a wheel before attempting to check movement . be sure to double check wiring and terminals on relays, motor etc. i have pics of diagrams maybe the manual
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hd_solenoid_map.jpg (81.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg HD72_75DE&DE_4wiringdiagram.jpg (92.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg HD72_75DE&DE4HEAVYCABLEwiringdi.jpg (72.4 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HD_Manual_Service_1963_1978_EL.pdf (17.26 MB, 0 views)
johnny reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
johnny reb
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

oh this might help too
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HD_MANUAL_PARTS_1963 _1975_EL_UTILICAR.pdf (10.89 MB, 0 views)
johnny reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #7
bbooth
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for that info. I’m getting ready to look into it. I’ve followed the service manual with using a jumper wire between the solenoids and checking. Went through the entire flow chart and nothing worked. That led me to the motor. I’ve tested it and no terminals are grounded. S1 to s2 field is not open. Armature circuit had test light on with a-1 to a-2. I have not opened the motor to check brushes though.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
bbooth
Not Yet Wild

Johnny, following the service manual (it was a more up to date version and it seems they’ve now omitted the flow chart I was using and did not offer a replacement) you attached I could not get the micro switch to light up. Thank you, I didn’t think it would cause a problem since it’s not engaged until the pedal is all the way down so I didn’t check it. Is there a way to bypass this to verify that would be the problem part?
Old 03-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
bbooth
Not Yet Wild

As an update the motor does function when hooked to an external 12v power supply. I’m assuming this eliminates the motor as the culprit.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:44 AM   #10
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Indeed, if the motor spins on 12v then it's good.

Hmmmmm. If the microswitch was bad there should be no solenoids clicking at all. Still, you can simply jump the switch for testing purposes.

It looks like you have two diodes in your circuit. Check those to make sure that neither is burnt out.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson