lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
Nubes4876
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Semi dead cylinder

This may have been covered somewhere before but I haven’t been able find any answer. I have a 2005 ezgo mpt800 with the Robin 295 engine. It had been running fine since I got it last fall. A couple weeks back I was enjoying some newly fallen snow when it started to feel weak. I discovered that it was running on what I would consider one and half cylinders. What I mean by that is when just running the engine in neutral it seems ok. If I remove the clutch side plug wire, it runs with a noticeable difference of a dead cylinder. If I swap and pull the flywheel side wire, it will not run, if however I get it running on both cylinders and then pull the flywheel side wire, it continues to run. Both cylinders have 150 psi of compression and valve clearance is good. Odd thing is, if I take the flywheel side wire and put it on the clutch side, it runs just fine and if I put the clutch side wire on the other side it will not run. This lead me to believe that the coil was bad because the issue follows the longer of the two plug wires. Got another used coil that I was told was good. Same exact issue. Since it was used, I though maybe it was common fault. Bought a brand new coil. Same exact issue. Both plugs have strong spark when removed from the head. Has anybody come across this issue or have any ideas that I may have missed?
Nubes4876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
guyboy1970
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Semi dead cylinder

I dealt with a similar issue. Mine felt more like it was running of gas. I went through 3 coils but in the end it turned out to be my ignitor. There may be something in the stickies to help you run down the problem.

I do know that my TXT and most other buggies are extremely sensitive to bad grounds and bad connections. Always start with the simple stuff first and go from there.
guyboy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
Nubes4876
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info, I’ll make my way through the connections and on to the igniter. I’ll get back when I get it figured out.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #4
guyboy1970
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

guyboy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #5
Nubes4876
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It’s been a while but I was finally able to do some additional testing. I removed the ignitor and took it to a local golf cart place. We put it in a different E Z Go and it ran just fine. I could get it to start and run on either cylinder. This is good news as it should mean I don’t need to buy a $500 part. They suggested checking the ground as well. I put the ignitor back in, verified the problem was still present and then I ran a jumper wire directly from the negative post on the battery to the engine. I think that should have eliminated any issue with grounding. I’m at a loss what could I be missing?
Old 06-14-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
dirtyyoda77
Gone Wild

Club Car

Id try plugs and a new set of wires

simple stuff first
dirtyyoda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
Nubes4876
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Tried that, new plugs, new coil because the plug wires are integrated.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #8
Macdoctor56
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Are the plugs wet, what's your compression?
Macdoctor56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:37 PM   #9
Nubes4876
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

150 psi on each cylinder. both plugs are wet as well. I may have figured it out but I need to so some additional tests to confirm. If it is the fix, it was just random luck to find it. Its definitely ignition related...
Old 06-18-2018, 06:31 PM   #10
Nubes4876
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I may have been chaseing a red herring. I have been able to get it to start pretty reliably on the problem cylinder. I gaped the plugs again and also cleaned the electrical connections on the solenoid where power feeds the coil. It’s possilbe that this has been an issue since I bought the cart. The bigger problem which makes sense from what I am experiencing is, a loss of power. I had it in neutral and was running the cart at full throttle to warm it up and see if that impacted the ignition. As it warmed up, the rpm kept dropping and it was losing power. Now I’m not so sure that it was ignition. Anyonebody experience anything like that?

Tags
coil, ignition, low, spark, weak
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO