lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Harley compression reading

Hey folks,
My Harley has readings of 90# forward and almost 95# in reverse. I think this is a good reading. I installed a new piston and rings but did not bore for the next size. everything measured to factory specs. I don't know if the cylinder was round enough. I used a century hone to rough it up and it looked round. Now to the point..... Can some of you check yours and see what compression reading you get. Especially one with a brand new top end. Mine runs a little weak up hills but I think my muffler needs cleaning out.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2007, 01:31 AM   #2
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: Harley compression reading

Youall aren't helping much. I have heard from the BU set that the HD standard compression readings are a lot higher than 90#. Since it doesn't say so in the manual the only way we will find out for sure is to get you Harley owners to report your findings. Yes! I am retired and have time to do it and you have 42 kids and don't have the time. I know the drill for I had a ew kids myself. But a compression check doesn't take long if you have the gauge. Help us all and list compression and piston size! Some say 90# is good and some say that 90# is a disaster. What is it?
Old 08-25-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

I believe I got a reading of 75 on one Harley that was actually blowing its fuel/air mixture out the side of the head gasket. It still ran. That's amazing. I got a reading of 120 on a newly rebuilt Robin 3PG. IMHO, 90 is a bit low.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

You are talking about two different engines. There cannot be a good comparison. A 4 cycle against a 2 cycle again, no comparison. We need to check apples to apples!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Last time I checked the Robin 3PG was a two cycle.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #6
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Sorry bout that, I stand corrected!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 12:08 AM   #7
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Hey folks,

Different engines have different specks and different compression readings. I don't know about all these other engines so you are asked to educate me some.

The readings that Golf Cart Care list as normal are 80 forward and 85 reverse. I would like to find out if this is true or not. They say that 10 to 15 lbs above that indicate carbon build up or a stopped up muffler. My piston and rings are new and i'm sure I don't have carbon build up and I still get 90 -- 93 readings. So If they are right on their compression readings, I may have a stopped up muffler, which is highly possible. Other engines readings are not revelent but are still welcome for I will see all engines eventually. I am only 70 years old but I will live to be 100 or more and still be working my rear off. So don't get pissy with me if I don't know your business just explain it to me and we will be A OK.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:33 AM   #8
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Ok then, I will leave the other manufacturers out of it. Just thought that would be a reference.

All I can offer is that I did get a reading of 75psi on a 1981 Harley. The head gasket was so bad that it was blowing some of the fuel/oil/air mix out the side of it. It still ran on that until they put a BU rebuild in it. I have not seen it move since.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #9
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Thank you for the input. I do value your information very much. Other engines are of importance to me also. I do not own a club car but hope to own one at first opportunity. I was just trying to set a base line for a definite top end rebuild on the HD. There has been so many different opinions from a lot of people that I wanted that settled. Your cart with 70# and a leaky head gasket was definitely interesting and a worthy input. When I first tried to run my Harley, I just did only what was necessary to get it to run. It ran for a few days (poorly but it ran) then I was a fem yards from where I kept it and it quit starting. I found that it would run in reverse so I got to the parking place and it never started again. I checked compression and it was 60# forward and not much more in reverse. On tear down I found piston and rings worn out. Cylinder in spec for std. replacement. But the odd thing was the crank case was 1/3 full of water and had been for a long time. Sorry I was sharp, no need to be. I was wrong. Now I have to go see What I can do for a friends G9 (The exhaust valve and push rod do not move,
Old 08-26-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

I think you should drain that water out ASAP.

Is the push rod broken on the 285? Cam lobe worn?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson