lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
Murby
Gone Wild

Default Trying to get a sense of nightime lights

I see a lot of light kits available for my 48v 2013 Precedent, and I'm trying to get a sense of their performance.

No one lists the specs on how bright they are, at least none that I can find, and youtube video's on the subject are almost non existent.

I have to laugh at the manufacturer's youtube vids on installing the kits but then none of them show them in action.. LOL.

My first thoughts are that no matter how much light they put out, having the light source mounted so low to the ground is going to severely limit the useful distance. Am I mistaken?

I'm wondering if a light bar up on top above the windshield would be a lot better. Or perhaps, mounted another foot higher like the DS models where its more in line with a regular automobile.

Its all fields and dirt roads where I'm at out here in farm country.
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2020, 06:42 PM   #2
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Trying to get a sense of nightime lights

I mounted my led bar above the roof on my DS. I think its a 40-42" bar. Its plenty bright and reaches way out there. I ride on the road some at night and its way too bright for oncoming traffic so I also installed a regular led light kit-headlights and taillights in case theres traffic.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I’ve seen a few people mount small light pods down low and mount a bigger light bar on top of the roof. If you never drive on a highway or a road with other cars/vehicles then there’s no harm done.

I will say that even a 20” light bar is WAY brighter than the bumper mounted led lights that they make for the carts.
Either way, you still need a 12v reducer. Depending how many lights you want, you probably will want a 20 or 30amp reducer.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My experience would indicate the headlight kits for golf carts, whether aftermarket or factory installed are the equivalent,at best, to the so called driving lights/fog lights on some cars/trucks. Not worth a crap if you actually need to throw light a good distance in front of the cart.
Since your out in the country and not likely to be mixing it up with other carts and vehicles I would suggest a quality light bar like you might put on your truck or Jeep.
Lots of members here have done that. Be patient. I'll bet you get some good suggestions.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:38 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I agree with kernal. All the headlight kits kinda suck. You can pick up a nilight 12” light bar on Amazon for around 20 bucks that’s a good quality light and 10x brighter than a headlight kit. I mount them on top of the front bumper on my DS so they’re out of the way. Even being ~1 foot off the ground they’ll still light up everything 500+ feet in front of you like daytime

And the nilight ones pull very little current, bonus for electric carts
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murby View Post
I'm wondering if a light bar up on top above the windshield would be a lot better. Or perhaps, mounted another foot higher like the DS models where its more in line with a regular automobile.

Its all fields and dirt roads where I'm at out here in farm country.
This x 100, given your situation.
HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car