lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
RUDEINC
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Belt/Clutch Issues

I've noticed on my project cart that has a CCW 340 snowmobile motor in it that the belt is somewhat down between the sheeves. What does that mean? Everything that I've read so far pretty much states that you want the belt as close to the top of the clutch sheeves as possible. Right? I did some checking around and the belt that is on there now is an 1 1/4" belt. I know that the OEM belt should be 1 3/16", so you would think that it would be up there pretty far already being a 1/16" wider than what's supposed to be on there in the 1st place. Is it possible that the nut that holds the sheeves on the spindle isn't tight enough or maybe the clutch spring is not pushing out far enough? Any idea's?

As far as the belt goes, I don't believe that it could be too tight to where it would pull it farther into the sheeves because I can spin the belt by simply pulling on it with very little effort. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks...Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2429.jpg (114.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2430.jpg (109.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2440.jpg (120.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2441.jpg (132.1 KB, 9 views)
RUDEINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Belt/Clutch Issues

A worn 1 1/4 belt could be quite a bit smaller than the orig 1 3/16ths? Did you measure it? The higher it rides in the driven clutch the lower the starting gear
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
RUDEINC
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yes, I forgot to mention that I did double check that the thickness of the belt was within tolerance. It was right there @ 1 1/4". Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Had the same problem with stock belt that was too short, and yours looks tight. How much slack is in it? Will the cart move at low idle?
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
RUDEINC
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ok, here is an update, or should I say different specs and new info.

1st....Removed old belt, and both the inner and outter sheeves close together as they should to form a "V".

2nd....Cleaned spring, helix, ramp shoes and entire area with contact cleaner (I get it from work) and put 2 pumps of Lithium grease into the zerk fitting.

3rd....took belt and pulled it back and forth between the sheeves to open and close clutch and lube spring.

4th....put belt back on...and.....same results...ok new approach.

5th....take belt back off and re-measure belt width with it off the cart.

6th...find out that my first measurements were slightly off...lol

7th...Belt should be 1 1/4" wide, well it's only 1 1/16 wide on the top and tapers down to 7/8" on the underside where the ribbed area is.

8th....get cloth tape and measure what length belt should be according to procedure here.... http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...-mounting.html and I come up with 46 1/2" from the center of the primary clutch to the outer edge of the outer sheeve.

9th....The specs on the belt that is currently on there are: Length 46 1/4" long and 1 1/4" wide and according to the procedure listed above in step 8 you need to add 2 inches to that total right? So I would need a belt that measures around 48 1/2" to function correctly. Right?

10th....put belt back on and look in between the sheeves and see that they are about 1/4" apart now.

11th....Conclusion: I believe that not only is the belt worn beyond specs, but it is also too small for this application. Does this sound about right?

Any feedback greatly appreciated...Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!