lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2022, 07:36 AM   #11
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help with older EZGO 2 Stroke Drive Belt

Gerard629,
This thread is from 2008. I'm not sure if you are just making a point, or if you are actually asking for help.

If you are asking for help, this is how you do it.

Lift the belt so it is on top of or riding tight against the forward plate. Then push the cart backwards. The belt will roll off.

To install the belt, get it routed where it goes. Make sure it is sitting low in the drive clutch to gain maximum length. Make sure it is routed around the center bolt of the driven clutch. Then you will do the same thing. Get it on top of the forward plate and push the cart backwards. It will roll on.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2022, 08:26 AM   #12
gerard629
Not Yet Wild

Cart Around

Gerard629,
This thread is from 2008. I'm not sure if you are just making a point, or if you are actually asking for help.
Definitely asking for help! So far nothing has worked as described in this old post. Had the belt sitting atop the driven clutch and when 2 of us pushed the cart backwards we merely dragged the wheels along the ground! As for spreading the sheeves on the driven clutch (new one) no way ( that spring tension is a bear ). I did manage to drive the sheeves apart using a hydraulic floor jack but this was with the clutch off the cart …. with the belt deep into the sheeves the clutch was now too wide to mount on the shaft! So I mounted the clutch (driven) back on the cart and will use a bottle Jack to spread the sheeves and go from there.
Waiting on a new drive clutch before I attempt this method. One post mentioned grabbing the driven clutch and turning it in two directions to open the sheeves and another just said spread them….. the how is what escaped me! Yes, help was what I came for thank you.
No videos found regarding 2 stroke belt install.
P.S. The new belt I’m trying to mount is the same size as the one removed from the cart. Removal was after pulling the drive clutch so no problem there.
gerard629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 03:21 PM   #13
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Something is wrong.
The belt shouldn't be that tight.
The wheels shouldn't be locking up when you push it.
You shouldn't be trying to spread the sheaves of the driven clutch. Doing that doesn't gain you anything. The clutch is still the same diameter. Spreading the sheaves doesn't change the diameter of the clutch.

You are either routed wrong, or the belt is too short.

EDIT: Is the belt sitting on the center shaft of the drive clutch? The drive clutch should be opened wide enough that the belt sits naturally on the shaft.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:36 PM   #14
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

[P.S. The new belt I’m trying to mount is the same size as the one removed from the cart. Removal was after pulling the drive clutch so no problem there.[/QUOTE]

How did you remove the drive clutch with the engine still in the cart? That's an almost impossible task.
Old 10-13-2022, 04:28 PM   #15
gerard629
Not Yet Wild

Cart Around,
Clutch removal was a snap compared to this belt install. Used the puller bolt then as advised by another forum member squeezed the clutch together by hand (easy) and this gave enough room to slide the clutch off the shaft.
Old 10-13-2022, 04:35 PM   #16
gerard629
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Something is wrong.
The belt shouldn't be that tight.
The wheels shouldn't be locking up when you push it.
You shouldn't be trying to spread the sheaves of the driven clutch. Doing that doesn't gain you anything. The clutch is still the same diameter. Spreading the sheaves doesn't change the diameter of the clutch.

You are either routed wrong, or the belt is too short.

EDIT: Is the belt sitting on the center shaft of the drive clutch? The drive clutch should be opened wide enough that the belt sits naturally on the shaft.
Routed wrong??? No way. Drive clutch is open as it should be. Opening the sheaves would allow belt to draw into he narrower shaft of the driven clutch just as th belt is on the shaft of he open drive clutch. Again, we are talking 2 stroke here. Show me where I’m so far off. K here to get the job done. Thanks
Old 10-13-2022, 05:10 PM   #17
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The belt is supposed to sit on top of the driven clutch until you start moving. The faster you go, the deeper it gets.

This is how it sits. Have you gotten it to this point yet?

Another EDIT: I have gone back and read the original post. The first reply makes no sense at all and is the wrong way to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belt 1.jpg (191.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg belt 2.jpg (191.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-14-2022, 05:20 AM   #18
gerard629
Not Yet Wild

Sorry it makes no sense to you and yes I've gotten to that point. Happy for you but I'm still without a belt mounted on my cart! Cheers!

P.S. Exactly what makes no sense..... to you?
Old 10-14-2022, 05:39 AM   #19
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

If you have gotten that far, there is nothing else to do. It's on. I don't understand what else you are trying to accomplish.
Old 10-14-2022, 06:32 AM   #20
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Why do I get the feeling you are trying to put the belt on the driven clutch first, then trying to roll it over the drive clutch? If so, it will not go on. The belt has to be on the clutch on the engine first, then roll it over the edge of the clutch on the transmission.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO