lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
RvUsa
Not Yet Wild

Default 83 Club Car dash supports broken

Hi all, I am new here, and new to the golf cart thing. I just bought an 83 cc for a good price, but when I got it home and started really looking at it, all the aluminum supports that run down behind the dash, to the round bar that goes side to side through the frame, they are all broke, or about to break. When I took the front fiberglass cowl off, the whole dash moves when you move the steering wheel.

My question, is there a "correct" way to fix this, it has been tigged once, and looks like it didn't take. *(lots of globby weld)

Or should I fix it the best I can, and get rid of the cart? I am leaning towards the second option, because of this problem, and the fact that it has a hard time hauling my big ol backside up my long driveway, it is so slow up hill, that by the time I get to the top, I can read all my mail. LOL
RvUsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 83 Club Car dash supports broken

i think i would agree with option #2 cause if its already been welded and broke chances are its gonna happen again....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum RvUsa...........................

I think you will be happier with something newer. It's now or later.......
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
RvUsa
Not Yet Wild

That's kinda what I figured, I found this one at a car show, and got a good deal. I am going to take some aluminum plate and bend it so I can brace the dash to the top of the shock mount (kinda an open z sort of bracket, its not perfect but should work, and keep it from moving. Slap a nice paint job on it, and put it on ebay. It has 1 yr old batteries, new solenoids and cables. I am going to recover the seat. I wonder what it will be worth?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

As much as you can get.......... Just don't put lots of money into it.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Have wire welded some alumlooks diff than tig. My bet is there is somthing putting lots of torque on the front end patch it up and sell it.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
RvUsa
Not Yet Wild

Well, I made some braces today, and bolted them to the upper dash cross bar, and the shock tower, worked like a charm, no movement at all!! Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
lowharley
Not Yet Wild

I just bought a cc with the same exact problem. I am probably going to build a bracket out of steel and just bolt it all back to the frame. Looks like someone tried to weld this one as well. Did a sloppy job of trying...
lowharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

Most likely someone tried to weld it with the wrong type of equipment. Either they just tried to mig it without aluminum wire, etc., and that is why it looks all globby and bad. If welded PROPERLY it will probably be as strong or stronger than it was originally. Now, if there is an underlying problem that caused that part to break, that's another story, but maybe someone flipped the cart or ran into something causing it to break the first time, and then they just tried to weld it at home.

If it were PROPERLY welded it would look good, and then if it broke again you'd have to worry.

Still, you are probably better off with a newer cart.
SP-Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car