lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2015, 06:36 AM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: The Big Picture view of how a TXT cart works

If it's a series, the controller doesn't know or care, whether you're going in forward or reverse - other than the 1/2 speed reverse, which can be disabled for troubleshooting - either by programming, or by simply disconnecting the 1/2 speed microswitch.

If it runs fine in reverse, it's not a controller, ITS, motor, battery, etc. issue. I'd look at the FNR as mentioned above.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2015, 02:36 PM   #12
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
If it's a series, the controller doesn't know or care, whether you're going in forward or reverse - other than the 1/2 speed reverse, which can be disabled for troubleshooting - either by programming, or by simply disconnecting the 1/2 speed microswitch.

If it runs fine in reverse, it's not a controller, ITS, motor, battery, etc. issue. I'd look at the FNR as mentioned above.
I'm not attempting to disagree with you, nor argue with you...but here is a picture of my "old" controller:

...and as you can see there is a "place" for a 1/2 speed wire (for reverse or I would assume even forward if you wanted) and this comes out of\into the controller. So, from what the poster is saying about his cart (runs fine in reverse, which is set up to run in 1/2 speed) but when run in forward, when the ITS is at 1/4, the cart get's a surge of max amps.

i suppose the ITS should be looked at as it's much cheaper and easy to look at, but the 1/2 speed still is controlled by the controller.

FWIW

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

As I said, if you remove the 1/2 speed reverse option, and it still runs normal in reverse, but acts differently in forward, the controller, ITS, etc. can be ruled out. The controller and ITS don't know which direction the cart is told to run. The direction is changed by the FNR switching the direction of current flow in the motor wrt the rotor and stator windings.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Found one. If you study the control voltage and the high current circuits, the two circuits you mention, besides the 1/2 speed reverse, the control voltage circuit is identical in forward and reverse. I doubt the 1/2 speed reverse is causing problems, but if it is, then it's a controller issue. I only mentioned it to rule out ANYTHING that is different in forward than reverse.

If you use this diagram for your AXE, troubleshooting a series cart is a breeze, since it's pretty easy to rule out one thing or another.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doc100-043-B_DWG-AXE-EZGO-Wire-Dia.pdf (174.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Old 02-16-2015, 09:09 AM   #16
remac
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I am concerned with the picture showing the CHG plug wire
that attaches directly to the solenoid - I do not see a fuse on that line.

Is there a fuse somewhere else that will blow if the CHG plug or line shorts?
My PDS has the CHG plug lead attach to the pack POS through a 50A fuse.
That way if I short the plug or the charge leads, the fuse blows.

Last edited by remac; 02-16-2015 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: clarity
remac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Agreed, but my stock series had NO fuses, either in the charging circuit, or the high current circuit.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Fuses are fire protection devices.

They might prevent a cart from catching on fire if a short occurs, but are highly unlikely to prevent the electrical devices from be damaged.

For example: When I exploded a stock PDS motor, it took out the 400A controller, but the 250A fuse stayed intact.

------
The exposed terminals in a charge receptacle are tied directly to the battery pack's main positive and negative terminals and if anyone shorts them together, several hundred amps of current will flow, so it is a good idea the have a fuse in the cart's charge wiring if there are any kids around.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #19
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Agreed, but my stock series had NO fuses, either in the charging circuit, or the high current circuit.
If you were to "turn" the controller clockwise, you will see the main 400amp fuse on the high end circuit bolted on the controller right there. This is where the negative charge from the charger is attached to the fuse before the fuse is bolted onto the controller.

Dave
Old 02-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #20
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I've replaced every cable, battery, controller, solenoid, FNR, you get the picture. There were no fuses.

It's possible the original owner removed it?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO