lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #11
labatt50
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Another No-Go Ezgo, here's some numbers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
A stock 36v controller cannot do 48v. I did it on my 36v ezgo Marathon , Not TXT, for about a month, it lost 99% power (dont do it to yours, not the same controller, it will be really "steaming mad", and never play nice again). There are ways to "cheat it" to do 42v, but those ways arent gonna help you get to the root of your problem. If you want to do it as a test, disconnect enough batteries to get it nearer to 36v for testing. If the reed switch is the problem the solenoid will never click, and the energy meter (if present) will not light up. If you think the reed switch may be the trouble, disconnect the smallest wire from the charge port and check the charge port side of the wire for pack voltage, if none present, hook the other side of the wire to the battery pack main positive terminal. If it runs now, the reed switch is bad (the cart can now run while tbe charger is connected, be careful).
Thanks cgtech,

Checked the reed switch, its got power.

Bypassed the floor micro switch, no change, its fine too.

I'm tempted to install my stock solenoid and see if I can rule that out as well.
labatt50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2015, 12:30 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Okay, lets try move to a different test point. Connect the voltmeter between the B- and M- terminals on the controller.

Push the pedal just far enough for the solenoid to click and the voltmeter should read FULL pack voltage.

If not, there is a problem in the cables/connections, F/R switch contacts or motor. (Maybe not the motor, since you swapped it out)

If you do get full pack voltage, slowly push the pedal to the floor and the voltage ought to smoothly decrease to zero.

If not, check the throttle (ITS) signal. Should be 10V between black and white wire with pedal up and 6V with pedal down.

If you have a valid throttle signal to the controller and full pack voltage between B- and M-, but it doesn't drop to zero when pedal is pushed, the controller is not doing what it is being told to do, so it is bad.

If the voltage between B- and M- does drop to zero whem the pedal is floored, the motor ought to be turning or smoking.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #13
labatt50
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt50 View Post
Thanks cgtech,

Checked the reed switch, its got power.

Bypassed the floor micro switch, no change, its fine too.

I'm tempted to install my stock solenoid and see if I can rule that out as well.
Not sure if this is a valid test,

Installed stock solenoid, no change but have all the same numbers.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #14
labatt50
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Okay, lets try move to a different test point. Connect the voltmeter between the B- and M- terminals on the controller.

Push the pedal just far enough for the solenoid to click and the voltmeter should read FULL pack voltage.

If not, there is a problem in the cables/connections, F/R switch contacts or motor. (Maybe not the motor, since you swapped it out)

If you do get full pack voltage, slowly push the pedal to the floor and the voltage ought to smoothly decrease to zero.

If not, check the throttle (ITS) signal. Should be 10V between black and white wire with pedal up and 6V with pedal down.

If you have a valid throttle signal to the controller and full pack voltage between B- and M-, but it doesn't drop to zero when pedal is pushed, the controller is not doing what it is being told to do, so it is bad.

If the voltage between B- and M- does drop to zero whem the pedal is floored, the motor ought to be turning or smoking.
Sounds good Johnnie,

Voltage reading between B- and M- is 48.5V, with slight depression of pedal (just enough to get solenoid to click) pack goes to 50.9 (which is current pack voltage at battery terminals), when peddle is then depressed to the floor the reading stays at 50.9V

ITS Signal:
-pedal non-depressed probes on Black and white wires at the controller .67V
-Pedal depressed just enough for solenoid to click 9.03V
-pedal depressed to floor 5.39V

Soooooo,,,,,,

Controller? If so what are options? Send back to Altrax to fix?

Thanks again guys for all the help:thumb up:

So much appreciated!
Old 06-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The LED flashes 4 times and goes to steady green, the voltage between B- and M- stays the same from pedal at solenoid click to pedal on floor, while ITS signal varies from about 10V down to about 6V. That indicates the controller is bad.

An AXE controller is filled with a potting compound, so it isn't repairable, but contact Alltrax with the serial number. If it is under warranty, they will replace it.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #16
labatt50
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
The LED flashes 4 times and goes to steady green, the voltage between B- and M- stays the same from pedal at solenoid click to pedal on floor, while ITS signal varies from about 10V down to about 6V. That indicates the controller is bad.

An AXE controller is filled with a potting compound, so it isn't repairable, but contact Alltrax with the serial number. If it is under warranty, they will replace it.
Ok,

Thanks again for all your help JohnnieB, your expertise is much appreciated.

If they don't replace it under warranty, any suggestions on a replacement?

This buggy is used as a hunting buggy, off road, with hills. I'd like something indestructible..... if such a thing exists
Old 06-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Ok,

Thanks again for all your help JohnnieB, your expertise is much appreciated.

If they don't replace it under warranty, any suggestions on a replacement?

This buggy is used as a hunting buggy, off road, with hills. I'd like something indestructible..... if such a thing exists
I hear the SPM controllers (Next generation of the AXE) are pretty rugged, but don't know personally since I have a SepEx drive.

Give Scotty a yell: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
Old 06-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #18
labatt50
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I hear the SPM controllers (Next generation of the AXE) are pretty rugged, but don't know personally since I have a SepEx drive.

Give Scotty a yell: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
Until I get this controller business sorted out, Could I put in my stock curtis controller and solenoid and use that around the house? The cart was originally 36V, now its 48V. Would I have to remove batteries or is the controller capable?
Old 06-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Until I get this controller business sorted out, Could I put in my stock curtis controller and solenoid and use that around the house? The cart was originally 36V, now its 48V. Would I have to remove batteries or is the controller capable?
The stock series controller (Curtis 1206?) won't do 48V.

If you are running a 6 X 8V, you might get away with leaving one of them out for a 40V system, but the is going to imbalance the pack something awful.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #20
labatt50
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
The stock series controller (Curtis 1206?) won't do 48V.

If you are running a 6 X 8V, you might get away with leaving one of them out for a 48V system, but the is going to imbalance the pack something awful.
If I wanted to make sure it was my controller causing the problem, could I take a battery out of the loop (yes 6 x 8Volt) and go to 40V or 32V? I would do this while the cart is jacked up just to see if it works? If so, would I have to use the stock solenoid as well?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO