lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #1
obeewanton
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery Dilemma

So I have this 95 Ezgo Freedom that I picked up. Guy I bought it from didn't seem like the most technical guy in the world but, he stated it ran. Didn't ask how well.. But thats what I get. Its a 36v. Has 5 Trojan 6v's and 1 Crown.

Did a voltage test and the last battery in the series measured almost 4v. Did a charge and got it boiling pretty good and now we are sitting at a crispy 6.3 -6.0 volts.Three of the batteries held 7vs after the first charge. The other three including the Crown were shyte. The trojans are 2009 and the crown I forgot but it looked newer.

My range on the cart is about 4 miles. After the first charge it topped out at 17 mph.

Even though I know the answer to this question in the back of my mind. I just wanted a consensus on swapping three of the six to new Trojan T-105's and next month get the other 3. You think I can run it for a good month without really aging the new batteries?

Reasons why I ask.

My brain is tired its 9pm and I stayed up till 3am and woke up at 5am and I stopped listening to my self when I started my day by pouring egg whites into my coffee cup this morning thinking it was creamer .. Then drank it.

I'm in a middle of a home improvement project and I'm trying to keep a tight budget here.

I found a Artic Cat 440 motor for half the price of the batteries and I'm pretty handy with a welder. The negative aspect of that is the resale value diminishes with that fun idea.

I don't plan on hanging on to this cart too long. I know if I convert it, its going to common law marriage, my A**.

If this post makes no sense. Please forgive me. I'll correct it in the morning.
obeewanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2016, 07:14 AM   #2
Dennisneri
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Dilemma

save and buy batteries not worth killing yourself over but on the other hand a hot rod cart could be fun?
Dennisneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Buy them all at once. Even a month of new and old will degrade the new ones. Put up with the SH$TTY batteries until you can afford a whole set. In the mean time you can decide if you want to upgrade or not.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
obeewanton
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeeeaaah.. Ima just hold off and get the whole thing in one swoop. Rather not take chances. Thanks
Old 11-15-2016, 09:20 PM   #5
obeewanton
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well .. Pull the trigger and picked up all the batteries. The cart is flying. Now I notice when charging the cable to the cart gets pretty warm/hot. I have a high threshold for pain so I wouldn't say its totally hot. Just hotter than it normally would be with bad batteries. I guess its getting all that good resistance now. Pretty normal? Its a Lester Total Charge III. Looks a bit dated but, I hear these things are pretty tough. Wires look good. No glossy insulators.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Cable getting warm during charging is fairly normal.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO