lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
briggs
Not Yet Wild

Default Golf cart charger

Hey guys, new to the forum, have an odd question maybe. I have the charger pictured, the capacitor was bad but so rusted I couldnt see the mf info, so I went from what I was reading in the forums, 6mf 660. I just got it in, and installed it. I put my leads on the end to read the voltage and its putting out 76 DC volts....that obviously doesn't seem right. By my voltage reading can you tell what my Capacitor might be? Can't find any information on this charger. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (11.1 KB, 0 views)
briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Golf cart charger

Old 05-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #3
briggs
Not Yet Wild

36V charger Year can't tell but between cart years
cart is 1980-1985 model
Capacitor that was in it was Oval and the bracket is oval
EZGO Textron or Extron Charger
Old 05-19-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
crash test dummy

yep its OLD ... but here is what we did before

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...capacitor.html
Old 05-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Contrary to what EZGO put on the label, you have a manual charger. Which is the say, it is turned on and off by the electro-mechanical timer alone.

The AC voltage output from the transformer ought to be from 55VAC to 65VAC without a capacitor connected. If not, the transformer is bad.

With a capacitor connected, you should get 83VAC to 97VAC. If not, the capacitor is bad or wrong value.

You measure the AC voltage between the leads on the diodes that connect to the transformer without the charger being plugged into the cart.

My guess is the capacitor ought to be about 20µfd, as shown of attached schematic for unit.

Your local electric supply house might have them. Be sure to get a Motor-Run capacitor (continuous duty) rather than the Motor-Start (intermittent duty) type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Manual Charger - With Timer.jpg (88.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
briggs
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks guys, before I buy the 20mf I'll check the leads and see the voltage. If you can help me with that info, which setting on the DVM and which contact point on the leads from the transformer, i.e. do I test after the diodes or before. Thanks guys
Old 05-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggs View Post
Ok thanks guys, before I buy the 20mf I'll check the leads and see the voltage. If you can help me with that info, which setting on the DVM and which contact point on the leads from the transformer, i.e. do I test after the diodes or before. Thanks guys
Set the DVM to measure at least 100VAC.
Measure between the two points circled on picture. (Lead of diodes that connect to transformer)

After the diodes would be VDC and we are looking for VAC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Top 0620121049-00 diode terminals circled.jpg (116.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #8
briggs
Not Yet Wild

Ok back from the weekend. I tested the 2 points and reversed my DVM leads, reads the same 70.2 both ways without the capacitor attached. Thats about 5 more that what you have at 55-65VAC, would I consider the transformer ok or putting too much out?
Old 05-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What is the AC line voltage at the wall outlet when you get 70VAC at the diode leads?

If the input to the transformer is high, the output from it will be high also.

Even if it is a bit high with 120VAC or less input, if it stays below about 100VAC with the boost capacitor attached, it ought to be okay.

Personally, I wouldn't put much money into that old beast. It doesn't do a very good job of maintaining the very expensive battery pack. Get a DPI Accusense charger and keep it plugged into cart when cart isn't in use. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/chargers-36-48v.html
Old 05-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #10
briggs
Not Yet Wild

AC line voltage is reading 120.2

I was searching the forum and noticed you posted a few EZGO manuals, the 80-82 manual shows my exact charger and when I cross referenced the capacitor part# it came up with a 20mf 370V. So I guess I did buy the wrong one. They have a 20mf440v in stock for $12 so Ill pick that up tomorrow. thanks for the help. Ill post back to let you know if its working properly. What DC voltage should I expect to see?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO