lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #1
PTL
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Ez go dcs smoking controller

Got a 1996 dcs cart that was layed up over a year, batteries were trash so I used a battery jump pack to test the motor to see if it ran, motor was good, bought new batteries and tested vart. All was good for about 100 yards then I started to smell electronics burning, flipped run/tow switch to tow and pushed back to house. Blueish smoke was coming from the controller.

Any idea to what caused this? When I put the jump pack to check the motor did I back feed the system and cause something in controller to fail?
PTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Ez go dcs smoking controller

It's possible you damaged it. However the only time I have jumped batteries was with another cart, but that was just to get the voltage up enough to turn the charger on. You mentioned the cart was left sitting for over a year, but when you said bluish smoke it sounds like the burning component made that color. You said you installed new batteries so the controller had an issue to begin with. I have my doubts you caused the controller to burn up. Long as you didn't pump too much that the cart could handle, I don't think jumping the batteries would destroy the controller
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
PTL
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

@yamahaguy97-thanks for feedback, at the time I used a jump pack I didn't have any batteries in the cart and I connected straight to the motor terminals
Old 05-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

DCS controllers have a fatal flaw-no low voltage protection- running a controller on 12v can cause the magic smoke to come out-no magic smoke often means it is time for a new controller...see scottyB at cartsunlimited for a new alltrax controller that has low volt protection built in....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #5
PTL
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

update - took controller off cart and board was fried, replacing it with a alltrax 400a
Old 05-25-2017, 08:04 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
update - took controller off cart and board was fried, replacing it with a alltrax 400a
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Second-hand smoke can kill.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller testing, dcs
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO