lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2017, 11:20 AM   #11
quickbiscuit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ-GO no go - solenoid not clicking - where do I start?

Disregard post #4. I charged the batteries and got my pack voltage up, and the battery meter shows full now. Still only getting ~13v on the controller side of the solenoid. It should be no more than 3 volts less than the pack voltage, correct?

Radioman, I tried to get an answer for this in another thread but no one responded. I do not know what/where the "resistor" is or if I even have one. I cannot get anyone to describe to me what this part is or what it looks like. If I don't have a resistor, what does the low voltage on the solenoid controller side indicate?
quickbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #12
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

A golf cart solenoid resistor usually placed across the big solenoid contacts is about the diameter of a round ball point pen about two inches long with wires at each end. As mentioned earlier your cart may not have a resistor. Review the link in post 2. Connect voltmeter negative lead to negative battery post. Turn on key and press pedal and check for voltage on each of the small terminals with the positive meter lead. Read the safety precautions protect against unwanted movement.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #13
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickbiscuit View Post
Disregard post #4. I charged the batteries and got my pack voltage up, and the battery meter shows full now. Still only getting ~13v on the controller side of the solenoid. It should be no more than 3 volts less than the pack voltage, correct?

Radioman, I tried to get an answer for this in another thread but no one responded. I do not know what/where the "resistor" is or if I even have one. I cannot get anyone to describe to me what this part is or what it looks like. If I don't have a resistor, what does the low voltage on the solenoid controller side indicate?
No one has responded? Wow. Maybe you should go actually read what people have written. If you don't want to read what people suggest to you fine but don't go start multiple threads asking the same question.

Good luck with your cart and I have attached a pick of what a resistor would look like if your cart had one and btw, there is not one shown in the wiring diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0026.JPG (9.4 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:19 PM   #14
quickbiscuit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
A golf cart solenoid resistor usually placed across the big solenoid contacts is about the diameter of a round ball point pen about two inches long with wires at each end. As mentioned earlier your cart may not have a resistor. Review the link in post 2. Connect voltmeter negative lead to negative battery post. Turn on key and press pedal and check for voltage on each of the small terminals with the positive meter lead. Read the safety precautions protect against unwanted movement.
Ok, thank you...there is definitely no resistor on this solenoid.

I'm not sure what these results mean, but I'm getting ~50v on the small terminal closest to the controller, and anywhere between 14-27v on the small terminal on the opposite side. The reading moves around a lot on this terminal. I can't tell whether pressing the accelerator has any effect on the reading. It doesn't really lock in on a particular reading. The 50v reading on the first terminal did not change when I pressed the accelerator.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #15
quickbiscuit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
No one has responded? Wow. Maybe you should go actually read what people have written. If you don't want to read what people suggest to you fine but don't go start multiple threads asking the same question.
I appreciate very much your responding in the other thread, but with all due respect, I never got an answer on what/where the resistor was supposed to be. I thought I had the problem narrowed down at that point, but now I know the test in the diagnostics sticky doesn't even apply to me since I don't have a reisistor in the first place. Hopefully I'm getting closer now. Thank you for your help.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:47 AM   #16
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I appreciate very much your responding in the other thread, but with all due respect, I never got an answer on what/where the resistor was supposed to be. I thought I had the problem narrowed down at that point, but now I know the test in the diagnostics sticky doesn't even apply to me since I don't have a reisistor in the first place. Hopefully I'm getting closer now. Thank you for your help.
Did you read my post #12? Maybe someone removed the resistor and you need to purchase one.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:53 AM   #17
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Ok, thank you...there is definitely no resistor on this solenoid.

I'm not sure what these results mean, but I'm getting ~50v on the small terminal closest to the controller, and anywhere between 14-27v on the small terminal on the opposite side. The reading moves around a lot on this terminal. I can't tell whether pressing the accelerator has any effect on the reading. It doesn't really lock in on a particular reading. The 50v reading on the first terminal did not change when I pressed the accelerator.

Any thoughts?
OK try this. Connect voltmeter ACROSS the two small terminals. Observe voltage when you press the pedal.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:11 AM   #18
quickbiscuit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
OK try this. Connect voltmeter ACROSS the two small terminals. Observe voltage when you press the pedal.
Do you mean neg lead to one small terminal and pos lead to the other?

Also yes, I'm carefully reading all of the posts. From what kgsc has posted about the resistor, it looks like not having one will not cause the cart to stop working.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:15 AM   #19
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Yes. With old-school VOMs, you had to worry about polarity (red +, and black -), but with DMMs, if you hook it up backwards, it simply shows "- 36" volts.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:15 PM   #20
quickbiscuit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I held the pos and neg leads on the small terminals. Again, the voltage jumped around a lot, but it "locked in" a couple of times at 23.0. No change when the accelerator was pressed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO