lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #11
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: My Plowman's Performance Kit versus My VC 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Got to love Plowman's!!!
Oh yeah. If you upgrade to Don's Hot Setup, you will experience an even higher level of performance The machine work on the carb is impressive. I'm not saying it will outperform the 460, but I don't think you can maintain the "stock" platform--which is what I want to do--and have a faster or quicker cart. Maybe if you did head work and added a performance cam --upgrades on most 460's-- the comparison would be different.

We've had Don's input on the durability of the Yamaha 301 and 357 engines.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #12
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Oh yeah. If you upgrade to Don's Hot Setup, you will experience an even higher level of performance The machine work on the carb is impressive. I'm not saying it will outperform the 460, but I don't think you can maintain the "stock" platform--which is what I want to do--and have a faster or quicker cart. Maybe if you did head work and added a performance cam --upgrades on most 460's-- the comparison would be different.

We've had Don's input on the durability of the Yamaha 301 and 357 engines.
Interesting from a guy that has hopped up 23 hp vanguard. Which cart was at CAW ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #13
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Interesting from a guy that has hopped up 23 hp vanguard. Which cart was at CAW ?
When I first started going to CAW, my cart was red, stock, and did very well there. And now that it's got the Vanguard, of course it's going to CAW. The Hot Setup is in my wife's G22, and it's not going to CAW. If I swapped the Hot Setup into my G16 yardcart--which I may do someday--I'd take it to CAW in a heartbeat. Even with the 20" tires.

Highjack over...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #14
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

My final thought here is most people are putting in engine swaps because the original engine has failed completely or needs a costly rebuild. Then doing an engine swap such as the VC 460 makes great economic sense.Also some others buy a cart for VERY cheap with a totaled or missing engine.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #15
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
I am guessing the later cart has a higher gear ratio. The internet says the final drive ratios are as follows ; G16 = 11.34 vs the G2-8 = 13.65. Is this true yamaha experts ?
with a gear ratio that little I wonder what the 8:1 will give me, i'm hitting 40mph on flat ground right now with nothing else done other than 23" tires. on my G9..
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #16
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The gear sets for the yamaha and the dana are different. I would guess from either starting point you end up with 8:1. According to the speed calculator on this site with 8:1 gear ratio ,23" tires @6000 rpms your speed should be a shade over 50 mph assuming your engine could pull the 6k with that set up. That also assumes that the comet isn't an overdrive as opposed to the stock primary which I think it is.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #17
luvdamud
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I'm not surprised at all by this. We have a bone stock G16 that rides with us and his did 26mph on flat ground friday night and on a slight downhill he was at 29 with 18" tires. I had a G22 that I built a few years ago that had a stock engine and only a machined clutch and with the governer cranked in, it would pull very well up to 29mph on 22" tires. These were both GPS speed numbers as well.
luvdamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:42 PM   #18
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
The gear sets for the yamaha and the dana are different. I would guess from either starting point you end up with 8:1. According to the speed calculator on this site with 8:1 gear ratio ,23" tires @6000 rpms your speed should be a shade over 50 mph assuming your engine could pull the 6k with that set up. That also assumes that the comet isn't an overdrive as opposed to the stock primary which I think it is.
well I put my info in @12:1, 5600 rpm's, and 23" tires and it comes out to 32mph i'm hitting 40 mph right now.. so that doesn't say much for the calculator or any other ones I looked into..
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

All depends on what you want out of the cart, but never think a modded cart engine is going to put out HP like the 460 does. What an interesting thread. I don't really know what to say, the Plowmans stuff is top notch he engineered everything he sells and knows it works. He is the best with that stuff on yamahas. But I know he isn't getting much more power out of that cart engine without a cam and hogging the tiny ports and welding them back up. My 420 clone ports are twice the size of the G9 ports, I can't even get my pinky finger through the exhaust port on the G9. But hey, its all about getting what you want and if you don't need the power the stock engines are great in these carts, smooth, quiet, very reliable. The clone is bigger, more power, not as refined, cheaper, and was not designed by yamaha for a golf cart. It was designed by honda for a pressure washer and a very good copy of it is less than $300 new, double that for a seriously modded one.

You just are not going to see the power any big block has with stock gearing and tires, the gearing is too low.

My G9 did 30-31 gps back in '99 when I first lifted it and took off the governor, on 22 tires (that actually measure about 23). It took a while after 25mph but it would get there on a level street. That cart with a stock 420 clone did 31 floating the valves and got there in half the distance. Did 38 with head mods, timing key, header, 1.3 rockers, springs, etc., but stock block internals. Not found out what it will do now with VC460 cam and rod, but it does have more power everywhere for sure. But even at 6K rpm I would be in the low/mid 40s I would guess so its no mystery. I really don't want to hit 6K or go that fast only rarely. I ride trails and you just can't do that speed anyway I'd have to fit a utv/atv suspension under it.

The G9 does have the 13.x:1 ratio but the CVT is 0.9:1 overdrive that makes the final ratio close to 11:1 overall (stock ratio x 0.9). I didn't see much speed difference when I put a 94c primary on mine, but who knows the exact ratio of it and I don't know about the 780. The 1190 is larger diameter it will give more top speed, but hard to find those. I have also modded my clutches but not sure it changed much far as speed, I rarely check top speed but if it shifts more I would get less rpm at steady 30mph for example and would like that. I do a lot of running at steady 20-30mph, and hammering it out of tight corners, and yeah a lot of yard work and local stuff too that is why it still has pedal start just like stock.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #20
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmonkey17 View Post
well I put my info in @12:1, 5600 rpm's, and 23" tires and it comes out to 32mph i'm hitting 40 mph right now.. so that doesn't say much for the calculator or any other ones I looked into..
Same here.By back calculating my numbers of 42.2 mph @ 5600 rpms with 24" tires the final drive ratio comes out to be 9.5:1. That is why I wondered with the comet 780 and VC belt with the stock secondary if there isn't an overdrive situation.Using the same idea with your 23" tires the calculator comes out with 40.3. Some very consistent numbers here.

Tags
performance, plowman, plowman's
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha