lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Turbo j38 engine

Is that the mustang turbo, or svo turbo? I had a DSM for a while super fun car in winter and not too bad in summer until the trans blew up, the manual trans. Bought it and put a new turbo and head on it, ran great then. Of course they are mitsubishi.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #12
Cavemandrew
Getting Wild

Yamaha

It is last of the 2nd gen. 1992.(XR4TI engine) The intercooler is out of a dsm.. haha. I also have a lowered 2wd 94 turboed (built stock engine) and my brother has a 89 4x4 turbo (88 T-bird engine)
Cavemandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #13
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Sweet, almost forgot the XR4 and Tbird also used them. That 2.3 was the biggest dog on the planet without a turbo I know that. It would pull anything though and great mpg, family had a ranger stock 2.3, I had a V6 for a while. V6 faster but didn't pull any better. Man I ran the wheels off that truck I think it had over 300K on it when I got rid of it, nothing untouched I put radius arm bushings on it once lol, front axle redone twice, trans, clutches, you name it, lifted with S10 leaves in back and new coils in front so it was like an STX. A friend did that before I got it from him. Drove it to work 25+ miles each way on the expressway in 4wd all the way if snow on road, sometimes there was for over a month straight. It got me there for many years. Supposed to get a new ranger here in US soon, not sure why they gave up that market.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #14
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Sweet, almost forgot the XR4 and Tbird also used them. That 2.3 was the biggest dog on the planet without a turbo I know that. It would pull anything though and great mpg, family had a ranger stock 2.3, I had a V6 for a while. V6 faster but didn't pull any better. Man I ran the wheels off that truck I think it had over 300K on it when I got rid of it, nothing untouched I put radius arm bushings on it once lol, front axle redone twice, trans, clutches, you name it, lifted with S10 leaves in back and new coils in front so it was like an STX. A friend did that before I got it from him. Drove it to work 25+ miles each way on the expressway in 4wd all the way if snow on road, sometimes there was for over a month straight. It got me there for many years. Supposed to get a new ranger here in US soon, not sure why they gave up that market.
Easy now I had that 2.3 powerhouse in my 79 mustangwe called it the orange peel! Had white vinyl interior! That car was a blast to drive in the snow I got a good set of snow treads and always wished I could slide around like that on dry pavement
CAMPERCART2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #15
Cavemandrew
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Last winter when it snowed, I went to work and saw this.. It's a blast to drive in the snow in 4wd. Around 220hp. Dry in 2wd will spin 2nd on a roll or 3rd wet. haha. Yea, when it was N/A it was a dog.
Cavemandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:52 PM   #16
cfherrman
Gone Wild

Well to answer your question, no. To be done correctly you would have to first convert to megasquirt efi and ignition, after that convert to a secondary electric oil system to keep the turbo cool and also to cool the engine since it's currently air cooled, and power levels inside the air cooling only I don't think would that much more. After that tuneing.

If you don't want efi and all that, supercharged with blow or draw through carb is your way to go, would probably need a secondary oil system for cooling. Could run a smog pump on the starter generator belt with a added idler.
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #17
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

There are a couple turbo road bikes, if you could find one that would make a nice cart motor lol.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #18
cfherrman
Gone Wild

50 hp is already too much, a turbo road bike will be over 100, use the turbo, skip the engine
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha