lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #1
wbhess
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Mixing Different AH Batteries in Your Pack

As the title states: Is it ok to mix different AH batteries throughout your pack. I originally had new pack of Harris 225ah batteries installed in my cart Feb2018. A few months later, one of the cables came loose and melted the post. The dealer replaced it with a US Battery 232ah battery...

Next question...I plan on going to 48v using ( 6v batteries. I have a new, unused Advance Auto GC2 battery that I had as a spare for my old cart..Date code 8/17. I believe they are 216AH..If I were going to buy another 216AH battery from AA, would I be causing issues throughout my pack? I can usually get a 30% off coupon to use at AA which would bring the battery down to about $90.
wbhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2018, 08:04 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Mixing Different AH Batteries in Your Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbhess View Post
As the title states: Is it ok to mix different AH batteries throughout your pack. I originally had new pack of Harris 225ah batteries installed in my cart Feb2018. A few months later, one of the cables came loose and melted the post. The dealer replaced it with a US Battery 232ah battery...

Next question...I plan on going to 48v using ( 8 ) 6v batteries. I have a new, unused Advance Auto GC2 battery that I had as a spare for my old cart..Date code 8/17. I believe they are 216AH..If I were going to buy another 216AH battery from AA, would I be causing issues throughout my pack? I can usually get a 30% off coupon to use at AA which would bring the battery down to about $90.
This was just discussed on another thread...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1546296

All batteries in a string must match in AmpHours. Matching brand and age if you want them to last... matching AmpHours is for matched charge/discharge balance, brand is for matching chemistry (charging profile set to brand) so the charger shuts off at the correct voltage.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
wbhess
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I recall reading part of that thread earlier but nothing was said about AH until just a bit ago. What problems will I run in to? I assumed the higher AH batteries will lower their performance to that of the 216Ah.. is it more serious than that?
Old 10-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

When mixing batteries remember that the age and capacity of the oldest and smallest battery is what all the batteries equal; 6 of the oldest,weakest,smallest battery in the pack
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:18 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

When putting batteries in a series pack where you charge them in series and discharge them in series you want them to be matched as close as possible to each other PERIOD.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbhess View Post
I recall reading part of that thread earlier but nothing was said about AH until just a bit ago. What problems will I run in to? I assumed the higher AH batteries will lower their performance to that of the 216Ah.. is it more serious than that?
With normal loading and driving conditions the cart's performance (acceleration rate and top speed) will be roughly the same with 216AH, 225AH or 232AH batteries. The distance the cart can be driven on a single charge will be reduced to the average AH capacities of the Hodge-podge of batteries in the battery pack and the lifespan of the batteries will be reduced since none of them will be charged correctly, some being undercharged while others are overcharged. The same is true for the discharge cycle also, the lower AH batteries being discharged more deeply, so they fail sooner than they normally would in a matched set.

Mixing battery AH, age, brand etc., is a viable short-term solution to an immediate problem. Doing so may get you through the rest of the season, maybe well into the next year, but at some point the entire set of batteries ought to be replaced with a matched set.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:12 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I think what they are saying is, it's a bad idea.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:23 AM   #8
wbhess
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, thanks for all the input. I will likely go to 6 8v and purchase all new batteries. I saw a chart with all the different batteries and their AH ratings but now I can’t find it. Could someone please reply with it? Thinking of getting a set of us batteries but I don’t know what a good price is. My local shop was around 780 for 6 new US but didn’t specify the Ah or model. I’m heading to Wildwood NJ this weekend camping and there is a guy along the way selling mid range US batteries for $116 each. All prices were with core exchange. I am in Lancaster Pa if that helps..
Old 10-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is a list of 8V batteries. It isn't all inclusive, but it has most of the commonly ones used in 6X8V 48V packs.

If you are looking at ones not on list, find one on the list with a similar AH rating to get an idea of how it stacks up to the rest.

----------
If you go with US Battery, be sure to get a 48V charger with a US Battery charging profile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 Volt Battery AH comparisons.JPG (79.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO