lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Question for the electrical wizards out there.

OK... Don't beat me up too much for the question but I have to ask!
I know it is a NO-NO to use the frame as a ground but I have something that has no other option. I have one of the custom steering wheels and it just bugs the heck out of me that I can't use the horn button because there is no hole drilled in the steering shaft. I figured out a way to get the positive side to work with a contact ring on the hub but there is no room for the negative. It does work if it is grounded to the frame but I haven't hooked it up that way.
For something as simple as a horn is this still an accident waiting to happen?
Fegarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Question for the electrical wizards out there.

How are you planning on powering it? If you are using an auxiliary battery, you can probably get away with it. If you have a reducer, I wouldn't try it.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
How are you planning on powering it? If you are using an auxiliary battery, you can probably get away with it. If you have a reducer, I wouldn't try it.
I have a reducer. I almost thought about another battery but that is going too far even for me. It's a stupid thing but having a nice steering wheel horn button and having to use some button on the dash just bugs me.
Thanks.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

My buggy has a foot switch. I agree, it would be nice to use the steering wheel.

Is there any way you can install a separate switch, and use a disk with two circular copper rings? My old Duster had the disk you mentioned. That's the only car I ever had a need to pull the steering wheel for.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm going to have to do my homework. My original design doesn't have enough room but perhaps I can revamp it. The adapter is larger in diameter from the column so I was able to isolate a copper ring on the back side and I fashioned a spring loaded plunger on the column. I'll have to see if I can make them smaller to get 2 in there. Part of the fun of a cart is tinkering on it so it will give me a challenge.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Yep. When I bought my cart, it had halogen fog lights, which were grounded. Even though they had two wires, negative was connected to the frame via a pigtail inside. I removed it. It never caused any problems, but is not recommended.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I hear you. I'm one of those guys that if it "might" cause an issue it "will" cause it for me! I will go to plan B. Some people play computer games, I try to find solutions for useless problems...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO