lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
fldoghunter
Not Yet Wild

Default need more torque

I have a '98 CC DS that i bought used 3-4 years ago. It has a D&D 11hp speed motor in it that was there when I bought it. I lifted it 6" and put 23" tires on it. It would run 18-19 mph as stock, and will do 22-23 mph now. I have already upgraded all cables to #4. I can tell it doesn't have much low end power, but it was really not a problem on the flat Fl land around the house. I have since acquired a piece of land in Al to hunt that has some pretty good rolling hills. I haven't taken the cart up there, as i know it would have trouble with them.

Is there something I can do to get a little more torque without having to change both motor and controller? I could do that (and will if I need to), but it would have to wait. Could I do one now and be a little better in the hill climbing area, and then upgrade the other one later? If so, which would give me the most bang for my buck now? Maybe all I need is the controller?. If I need to start with a motor change, how much $ could I recoup selling my used speed motor?
fldoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
texan
Gone Wild

Default Re: need more torque

Have a 11 hp D&D with a 500 Alltrax and larger solenoid . Has plenty of torque.
Call David at Revolution Carts. But mine is a torque motor.
texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldoghunter View Post
I have a '98 CC DS that i bought used 3-4 years ago. It has a D&D 11hp speed motor in it that was there when I bought it. I lifted it 6" and put 23" tires on it. It would run 18-19 mph as stock, and will do 22-23 mph now. I have already upgraded all cables to #4. I can tell it doesn't have much low end power, but it was really not a problem on the flat Fl land around the house. I have since acquired a piece of land in Al to hunt that has some pretty good rolling hills. I haven't taken the cart up there, as i know it would have trouble with them.

Is there something I can do to get a little more torque without having to change both motor and controller? I could do that (and will if I need to), but it would have to wait. Could I do one now and be a little better in the hill climbing area, and then upgrade the other one later? If so, which would give me the most bang for my buck now? Maybe all I need is the controller?. If I need to start with a motor change, how much $ could I recoup selling my used speed motor?
Are you still running a factory controller?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
fldoghunter
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Are you still running a factory controller?
I'm pretty sure I am.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

You can raise the torque, even with that motor by increasing the amperage on the controller. You would need an Alltrax SR Series. They are made up to 600 amps.

David Hicks will guide you and responded above.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Also, what is the voltage of your battery pack?
If 36, upgrading to 48v when you change the controller will go a long way too.
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:09 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldoghunter View Post
I'm pretty sure I am.
You'll gain a great amount of torque from upgrading your power delivery system. As NoleFan suggested, I recommend the Alltrax SR- 500 amp controller, 400 amp solenoid, heavy duty F&R switch, and a 2 gauge full cable set to carry the extra power. Adding amperage will add torque. If it's still not enough torque after you've done the upgrade, then you can change your motor to a torque motor. There isn't a high torque motor on the market that will work correctly without a controller upgrade, so it's a necessary upgrade at this point. This is all based on the assumption that you do in fact have a series-drive cart. Series-drive carts can be identified by their lever operated F&R switch and lack-of Tow/Run switch under the seat.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:27 AM   #8
fldoghunter
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob1969 View Post
Also, what is the voltage of your battery pack?
If 36, upgrading to 48v when you change the controller will go a long way too.
It's a 48 volt cart. I put the batteries in in 2016. They run 50.2 on a full charge
Old 03-13-2019, 05:29 AM   #9
fldoghunter
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
You'll gain a great amount of torque from upgrading your power delivery system. As NoleFan suggested, I recommend the Alltrax SR- 500 amp controller, 400 amp solenoid, heavy duty F&R switch, and a 2 gauge full cable set to carry the extra power. Adding amperage will add torque. If it's still not enough torque after you've done the upgrade, then you can change your motor to a torque motor. There isn't a high torque motor on the market that will work correctly without a controller upgrade, so it's a necessary upgrade at this point. This is all based on the assumption that you do in fact have a series-drive cart. Series-drive carts can be identified by their lever operated F&R switch and lack-of Tow/Run switch under the seat.
Mine has a toggle type f&r switch and does have a tow/run switch under the seat. Would an upgraded controller (and those other parts) still give me more torque?
Old 03-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Regen 2 controller. That requires an XCT controller instead of an SR. Call David and he will get you the best options available..... 706-431-3917
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car