lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
somfas
Gone Wild

Default What is the max acceptable voltage on a 72V D&D motor

Please see below, the response from a guy at D&D motors when asked what the max voltage my motor can handle. I gave him the serial number since it was custom built by them. Was hoping for a different answer. I am planning to convert to Lithium and was planning to use 10 modules for 83V total. What are your thoughts? Thanks

The “floating surface voltage” of the batteries is gone as soon as you put a load on them. Your 72 volt pack may read 74-76 after being charge but that will drop once the motor is powered up. Motor is ok to be used at 72 volt system, not 84 or 96.
somfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: What is the max acceptable voltage on a 72V D&D motor

Call the engineering department at D&D and ask to speak with Vic directly. Don't speak with the sales team or customer support.

He will give you the answers to your questions straight out regarding that motor. Let him know you're converting to lithium and what controller you'll be using also.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Honestly that reply reads like it was straight from Vic

It might go better if you could reveal what the maximum standing voltage of your new pack will be and ask them if it is okay... ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #4
somfas
Gone Wild

It was a guy named Eric. I did explain it to them and what the deal was, but Eric was coming off any more info than that. I'll try Vic and see. Thanks
Old 06-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would not imagine any manufacturer will give You approval to exceed its published voltage rate for the motor.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by somfas View Post
It was a guy named Eric. I did explain it to them and what the deal was, but Eric was coming off any more info than that. I'll try Vic and see. Thanks
FWIW:

Eric is one of the D's in D&D.
Vic is an employee.

Both are electrical engineers.

I ran into slight conflict between the two of them when asking about the max RPM for my motor. Vic said 6000RPM and Eric said 6500RPM.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:43 AM   #7
somfas
Gone Wild

Eric told me 6500 rpm as well. What are your thoughts of running 10 leaf modules on my cart? And, if it is too much for the motor, what happens? Does the motor just stop working and I try for a higher voltage motor? Can I run 9 modules and be okay? Thanks
Old 06-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Voltage wise how many volts are you asking us about?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:58 AM   #9
somfas
Gone Wild

I believe that the cells should charge to 4.15v max, 2 cells per module. So, 8.3v per module. 10 modules would be 83v max, and 9 modules would be 74.7v max. These are Nissan Leaf modules and I was advised by others on this forum to use 10 modules. My current battery pack (FLA) charges at 81.4 volts and the dash meter reads 78.9v now after being unplugged overnight. I have only run the Alltrax toolkit 1 time since I don't know what I am doing with it, and the volts it showed did not match up with my dash meter. It was relatively close, but lower than my dash meter.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:06 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

FLAs like to be 100%. As far as I know, Lithium doesn't require this, so there's no reason you have to fully charge them is there? In other words, seems like you could slightly undercharge them to match the FLAs, if you're worried, unless this adversely affects them.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO