lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ GO solenoid/reverse/did I short it out

It tells me your DVM's black test lead is connected to B+ rather than B-.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #22
Gregs
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

****. And you would be correct. Well I have the new switch coming anyway. Will test correctly from now on. Thanks for that.

Since we have established the fact that I know nothing, do you mind telling me what this is if you can see it from the photos? It is behind key, directions and battery meter....I am curious as to what it is/does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (205.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (275.8 KB, 0 views)
Gregs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That is the beeper. It sounds when F/R is in reverse, when the walkaway safety is triggered and for beep codes when the controller is in diagnostic mode.

-----------
When the voltage and no voltage conditions are viewed with the Black test lead being on B+, the reading you got on the Red and green wires are correct.

The should be B+ on the red wire when F/R is in either F or R, but not when it is in neutral.

When there is B+ on the red wire, you should get B+ on green wire when pedal is pushed.

When you have B+ on the red wire, you should have B+ at the solenoid on the yellow wire and it should feed through the solenoid coil and be on the blue wire also. When those conditions exist and the pedal is pushed, the B+ on the blue wire will go away and the solenoid should click.

If it doesn't, the controller is most likely bad.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #24
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

a old timer told me "Son, the item that gets changed out more than it should is them Solenoids". he went on to say " Look hare, when in doubt, OHM it out".
if your cart is A PDS and has forward but no reverse, its the switch, reverse wiring to the controller or the controller....please someone correct me if i am way out there beyond Left field.
learn me something today...A PDS has just one spade connector....i just hope i can remember that when i get on "Golf Cart Jeopardy"
love you guys
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #25
Gregs
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks JohnnieB. If this last thing does not check out then I will be on to the controller it seems. Hope not.

Is there a specific way to tell if the controller is bad, or is it just the obvious choice since all the other things have been checked? I have done the diagnostic mode and got the three beeps.

Again I appreciate all of your help. A lot.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #26
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
1. a old timer told me "Son, the item that gets changed out more than it should is them Solenoids". he went on to say " Look hare, when in doubt, OHM it out".

2. if your cart is A PDS and has forward but no reverse, its the switch, reverse wiring to the controller or the controller....please someone correct me if i am way out there beyond Left field.

3. learn me something today...A PDS has just one spade connector....i just hope i can remember that when i get on "Golf Cart Jeopardy"
love you guys

3. PDS has only one In-Line spade connector. There are several spade connectors connecting wire to the F/R and Key switches, but only one male/female set that connects two wires together.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs View Post
Thanks JohnnieB. If this last thing does not check out then I will be on to the controller it seems. Hope not.

Is there a specific way to tell if the controller is bad, or is it just the obvious choice since all the other things have been checked? I have done the diagnostic mode and got the three beeps.

Again I appreciate all of your help. A lot.
The last three sentences in my Post#23 is about as specific as it gets.

When the inputs to the controller meets all the requirements for it to energize the solenoid and it doesn't do what it is being told to do, it is bad.

The only other possibilities are the blue wire connected to the solenoid coil is bad or not making contact with J1 Pin-6.

Here is a schematic of a PDS controller with the wires that have to have B+ on them to make solenoid click when pedal is pushed.

-------------
If controller is bad, replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-PDS, or larger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS - Solenoid activation traced.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #28
Gregs
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks. I will let you know what happens this time.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #29
Gregs
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So I was back out there and I put in a new micro switch and still no click. I have replaced and checked the solenoid and it seems to be ok, so I am to the point that I think yes - it is the controller and I need to order a new one.

AND THEN:
Someone who I am told knows about these things, said even if the controller is bad that I should still get a click from solenoid. Is this the case? I searched around could not find the answer to that. IF that is the true then I guess I will go back and begin again and make sure I checked everything the right way. I've done a lot of things incorrectly so far...

Thanks in advance to anyone who has an answer to that question.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #30
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The someone you are told that knows about these things, apparently doesn't know all there is to know about Sepex drives or AC drives.

Except for Series drive systems, the controller connects B- to the solenoid coil to energize it. The PDS controller supplies both B+ and B- to the solenoid coil, while B+ is supplied externally for the rest of the Sepex and AC drive systems.

The PDS controller has 6 main sections. High amp MOSFETs (Armature control), Low amp MOSFETs (Field control), Throttle, Solenoid B+, Solenoid B- and beeper driver. One or more sections can fail and the others may work, but if any section fails the entire controller has to be replaced.

Bottom line: you have to have a working controller to get the solenoid to click.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO