lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2019, 08:38 PM   #21
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 RXV Rebuild: Lord Humungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Well, it looks like the bearing encoder on my cart is toast as well. Was only moving real slow forward and reverse. Pulled the engine break off and wheels still spin real slow. The whole back end shimmies as well.

A kind dealer near me loaned me a controller to see if the cart would run. When I spin the tires they don't move all that well. Did some reading on the site and it matches up with a lot of the bearing encoder issues people have described on this site.

The controller works fine. Cart even charges now. I was hoping it was the break. I know the heat sensor works because it gave me a fault when running the motor.

Going to pull the motor off and make sure the wheels spin freely without it on.

Doesn't look too hard to change the bearing encoder...

:( I was hoping that it was just the controller that was the issue...
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2019, 08:40 PM   #22
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also could it be an issue with the wire harness?
Old 07-04-2019, 11:29 PM   #23
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh it is the motor encoder bearing for sure. When I pulled the ring off the end the seal just fell off the bearing and exposed all the bearings. The seal cap was warped and had a bubble in it and there are dead bearings for sure.

When I ran the motor the controller (Navitas TAC2.0) wasn't registering any RPMs and that is a sure sign that the bearing encoder wasn't working.

Getting it off the motor shaft was a pain in the rump for sure. I had to stand the thing on it's end and tap the case with a block of wood evenly. Then I had to wiggle it off. Took me a while. Longer than I hoped.

But, when I took off the 4 screws and plates it just popped out of the engine plate.

Thanks to @nickdalzell1 for all the replies to other threads on this site on how to identify a bad motor encoder bearing and how to service it!

Will post photos of the disassembled engine with the bad bearing encoder removed when my phone charges. It has been a long day...

Oh and when I took the ring off it went flying somewhere in my living room... Anyone know the part number for that thing if I can't find it?
Old 07-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #24
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Update: Thank you to everyone who helped me debug my cart so far!

So I got it fully operational today. The kind folks at Navitas helped me debug everything that was wrong with my cart. Bad solenoid, break switch, etc... I must have eaten up 18+ hours of the tech's time debugging all the broken stuff on this cart. All problems with the cart. The controller is a tank! The controller and app helped me debug so many of the issues!

Did my first test run tonight. CRAZY stuff. Very impressed. Install was easy.

Now to finish it all off... But first, sleep!
Old 07-23-2019, 06:15 AM   #25
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

All done and here are some pictures of the install:

1. Navitas TAC2.0 600 amp controller. It was an easy install.

I had some issues with the break "throttle" sensor as it was corroded but, the Navitas controller told me and the at rest voltage was 3.8. I had to saw off the old one. It was a cheap fix and easily debugged with the Navitas controller and app!

TAC2.0Installed.jpg

Programming this TAC2.0 is a sinch with the app. Not sure what the safe max RPM for the motor is. So I have it set to a clean 30mph. (Pictures of the Navitas settings coming...)

2. I installed the RHOX light kit and the advanced wire harness with the break switch kit. (Not that pedal thingy that you screw on. The actual break switch.) Nice harness. Easy to install. Didn't need turn signals or a horn. Canada sucks for where you can drive carts. I just did the break switch because being rear ended in the bush would suck. People following me all the time.

LightKitRXV.jpg

3. Bearing encoder was fried on the cart. Had to replace that too. Again, the Navitas TAC2.0 controller info revealed that. Spin the wheels and no RPMs show up in the app. Shocking how much they charge for these bearing encoders in Canada. :(

BearingEncoder.jpg

RebuiltMotor.jpg

4. I put the RHOX LIFT-507E "Extreme Duty" 6" a-arm lift kit on. And the RHOX brush guard. Just seemed beefier than other options. There is a 2015 RXV with the Madjax a-arm in my park and it just didn't seem beefy enough. I put the dual-action leaf springs on the back as well.

RHOXLift.jpg

Continued...
Old 07-23-2019, 06:20 AM   #26
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

5. I put on the RHOX dash cover so I could mount all the accessories. USB charger, 12v port, phone mount, light switches and most importantly the Navitas OTF. The install was a bit wonky. You have to put these plugs in and then the dash snaps into them. Wouldn't hold in place. I had to put ZIP ties around the plugs to tighten them so the dash didn't flop out of them. All tight now.

dash.jpg

6. Finished cart on 23" wheels:

Cart1.jpg
Cart2.jpg
Cart3.jpg

Continued...
Old 07-23-2019, 06:35 AM   #27
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

7. Navitas (Dealer) App screenshots.

1. Dashboard.

Dashboard.jpg

2. Diagnostics.

Diagnostics.jpg

3. Settings (3 screenshots)

Settings1.jpg
Settings2.jpg
Settings3.jpg

The app works well but, I would like Navitas to resolve the Bluetooth security issue. :)

Cheers,
Impaled
Old 07-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #28
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Update: Cart sold. Miss it already.

I did get to spend a day with it testing it in the bush. I got it moving 35mph w/ the TAC2.0 600amp controller. Sold it programmed to 30mph. Regenerative breaking significantly improved with the Navitas controller. Torque was amazing. Significantly better than any of the DC carts I have driven even when all done up with proper controllers and motors.

The RHOX Extreme Duty a-arm kit is great. Paired with the dual action I was able to go through most trails at full tilt with ease.

The controller is great and worked well. I set it up to catwalk just to try it out. Picked up the front tires. Toned it down... Wouldn't sell it that way. Took it over to a local dealer who sold me the original cart for them to try out. They sell Clubcar. They were all shocked at how awesome the cart performed. They have had RXVs but, they couldn't believe how good the breaking on this one was with the Navitas controller.

Will I do another RXV? If I can get another one at the same price yes. But, I am not hunting them per-say. Lots of things to deal with when compared to a TXT. :) But, the ride is significantly different on an RXV.

I blew away a DC cart with a 500amp setup w/ a high speed motor on pavement. We were all racing and I overtook them easily. That RXV hauls! I am an AC motor convert now.

Cheers,
Impaled
Old 07-29-2019, 04:03 PM   #29
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Just imagine what that RXV could do with a reprogrammed 350 Amp Curtis controller... Nearly double the amps of that Navitas!
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:53 PM   #30
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What did the cart sell for?
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO