lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #1
kellen20
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 EZGO TXT PDS Not Running

We were driving it the other day and it just quit. Wouldn't go forward but I was able to get it into the garage in reverse. Now it doesn't move at all.

Batteries were new in December, well taken care of and have no issues. Getting proper voltages on all.

I did some testing and the solenoid seems good, I can force it to click and continuity seems good. The one thing I noticed was the resistor gets really hot when connected, so hot you cant touch it.

In the process of testing the activation circuit per some of the other posts.

I have yet to test the F/R rocker (it buzzes when put in R) or key but the reed switch is fine. The only abnormal voltage I have seen when going through section F of the service manual thus far was the voltage between B- and Pedal Box ITS terminal with black wire. Instead of 2.9 +- 0.4 it was 1V. The voltage on the white wire was fine. Seems the ITS has continuity as well.

Does the really hot resister mean anything?
Does the low voltage on the black Pedal wire point to anything?

One last thing when I run the self diagnostic it beeps 2-1 which says low battery voltage. Like I said above the batteries all appear to be fine and are fairly new. Could that code point to anything else?

I went through all diagnostics again and messed with the self diagnostic, when it was doing the 2-1 beep i switched the key on put it in F and hit the pedal and I started getting the 1-1 beep...sounds like the controller.

Thank you guys for your help!
kellen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2019, 06:51 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2003 EZGO TXT PDS Not Running

Your controller has left this Earthly veil of tears.

The hot pre-charge resistor indicates excessive amp draw, so there's likely to be some bad MOSFETs in the Field winding portion of the controller. Reverse, but no forward then no F and no R also points to the Field output.

Replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-PDS (or larger).

Check motor and cable to motor.

A1 to A2 should be 0.3Ω to 1.0Ω
F1 to F2 Should be 1.0Ω to 2.0Ω
A1 to F1 should be OPEN
A1 or F1 to case should be greater than 5 mega-ohms

Check F1/F2 cables for worn through insulation where the rub on battery box frame. See attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worn field wire insulation.jpg (593.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
kellen20
Not Yet Wild

Thanks JohnnieB.

I'll take a look at that tonight.

If in fact the controller is toast what are my best options for replacement?

There's a couple listings on ebay to rebuild and upgrade (to 400A) my existing controller for $185, or the standard option is $115 I believe. Anyone ever done this?

I have also read that the XCT-48400 is superior but it costs a lot more.

My cart has a back seat and we usually have 4 people on it. Mostly all street driving.

Thanks,
Kellen
Old 07-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

A PDS cart system was designed to carry two golfers and their clubs over groomed cart trails for about six miles in 20 increments (18 holes plus to and from cart clubhouse) with several minutes of rest between legs of the journey, possible doing this twice in one day on a single charge. To do more than that, the drive system needs to be upgraded.

A rebuilt controller is actually a failed controller that has been repaired and all the other parts not replaced are the same age as the component(s) that failed. So the MTBF clock hasn't been reset for the non-replaced components, it just hasn't timed out yet.

A stock PDS controller has a 300A throughput and its heat dissipation is marginal for 300A. The 400A version has more throughput, but is in the same case with the same heat dissipation capabilities and 33.3% more heat.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
kellen20
Not Yet Wild

So you recommend the alltrax upgrade? The 400A version? Any store you recommend? Thanks again for your help.

Kellen
Old 07-25-2019, 03:02 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I didn't see it in the description but is the solenoid clicking ? If it is clicking and the resistor gets hot that could also imply the solenoid main contacts have failed. Take the resistor out and see if you get pack voltage on the controller side of the solenoid when it is activated. If no, try putting a jumper across the main lugs with the cart wheels off the ground of course and see it it will run then. If no, sounds like a new controller is in your future..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellen20 View Post
So you recommend the alltrax upgrade? The 400A version? Any store you recommend? Thanks again for your help.

Kellen
The XCT48400-PDS is all the stock PDS motor can handle, but you're routinely carrying 4 people, so the optional fan is likely to be needed. Especially if the tires are taller than stock (18") height.

Fan is included with the XCT485500-PDS, so the actual price difference isn't as much. And the amps can be turned down to 400A while the stock PDS motor is being used.

I get most of my stuff from here: https://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-xct-sepex--.html
Old 07-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #8
kellen20
Not Yet Wild

For $35 I might as well get the 500. Will it come pre-programmed to go 20 +mph?

Do I need upgraded wiring? I'll check again but I believe it is stock wiring.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:26 AM   #9
kellen20
Not Yet Wild

kgsc, thanks for the response. I believe I did that in the diagnostic steps but I don't remember for sure.

The solenoid was not clicking on its own so I had to force it to click by applying v to it.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

np, as for wiring yes you will need to upgrade your primary heavy current wires to at least 4 ga. 2 would be better
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO