lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2020, 05:00 AM   #1
Paper1122
Not Yet Wild

Default Did I kill my stock motor?

Hey guys, a little background on my cart first. It’s a 2015 TXT48 it has an alltrax 500 controller, 2ga wiring, 6 inch lift ( I think) 10” steel wheels with 23 inch knobby tires. I use it for cruising around the neighborhood with my wife and boys and it maxes out at 28mph. Before I owned it, it spent several years unmodified on a golf course and then got the lift kits and tires and was used on a construction site. I added the controller. It sees about 8 miles a day cruising around the neighborhood which is mostly flat but we do have a couple of hills at the creeks.

The last week or so I’ve noticed that I thought the motor was a bit noisier than before. Then last night we were out and I heard a bit of a pop and immediately power was reduced. It was followed by a burning electrical smell. I limped it a mile home. There were no noticeable burnt wires that I could find. After I had been home a while I took a motor case temp and it was 170f.

So please let me know, did I kill the motor, or should I be looking at something else?

If I did kill the motor what should I replace it with?

Thanks!
Paper1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2020, 05:24 AM   #2
Paper1122
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Did I kill my stock motor?

I forgot to mention I am planning on upgrading to 14” wheels with dot street tread 23” tires.
Old 04-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If you want to know if the motor is the problem, just take it off & open it up for inspection. If the motor is the problem, it will be very evident.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:39 PM   #4
Paper1122
Not Yet Wild

I pulled the motor out and took it apart. There was a lot of junk inside it, I’m guessing from the brushes. The inside smelled like the smell I smelled when the issue occurred. I was unable to fully dissemble it as I don’t have a press. The brushes were about an inch long which based on the manual I could find that is still within tolerance. The pressed on bearing definitely has a sound to it.

It doesn’t look like it is serviceable other than the bearing and brushes. I don’t want to drop $100 into this if I’m going to have to replace it anyway. Anyone have any experience with this? Electric motors are not my thing.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:27 AM   #5
iroc_0085
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I had the same issue, I replaced with a D&D high speed. My neighbor at the same time ordered a Plum Quick Executioner the price was not too terribly more. His cart showed more improvement than my cart after the swap. My old motor windings were welded/melted together.
iroc_0085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #6
Paper1122
Not Yet Wild

I bought a press at harbor freight because I needed one for my corvette rebuild project anyways. There is something internal to the armature that is rattling. It would appear the motor is infact dead. Now to choose the replacement.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO