lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2020, 06:36 PM   #1
ATrain
Gone Wild

Post What is the 3rd wire on the back of my charging receptacle for?

I'm working on fixing various issues with my 48v 2001 Western, and I notice there's a disconnected white wire w/a female spade connector off the back of my charging port.

What is this for?

This golf cart has all sorts of wiring problems where things simply are disconnected, hooked up backwards, etc...so this could be something or nothing.

ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What is the 3rd wire on the back of my charging receptacle for?

The charge receptacle contains a reed switch and there is a magnet in the charger plug that opens it, disabling the cart when charger is plugged into it.

The reed switch is a high failure part and had a very bad habit of failing when your were out in the middle of nowhere, so many cart owners bypassed the reed switch by connecting the wire that connected to the third wire coming out of the charge receptacle to B+.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #3
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The charge receptacle contains a reed switch and there is a magnet in the charger plug that opens it, disabling the cart when charger is plugged into it.

The reed switch is a high failure part and had a very bad habit of failing when your were out in the middle of nowhere, so many cart owners bypassed the reed switch by connecting the wire that connected to the third wire coming out of the charge receptacle to B+.
Very interesting! So they just make charge receptacles with a reed switch bypass wire basically? So I can do nothing with it or I can hook it to the b+.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:10 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
Very interesting! So they just make charge receptacles with a reed switch bypass wire basically? So I can do nothing with it or I can hook it to the b+.
No, the reed switch was the voltage source for B+ control voltage, it connected to the white wire (B+) that is used to charge the battery. If it was disconnected, they probably routed the wire that was connected to it someplace where they could pick up B+.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger receptacle - Reed Switch.JPG (73.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-13-2020, 01:22 PM   #5
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
No, the reed switch was the voltage source for B+ control voltage, it connected to the white wire (B+) that is used to charge the battery. If it was disconnected, they probably routed the wire that was connected to it someplace where they could pick up B+.
Ok I think I understand after seeing the picture. So the small white/red wire needs power to the controller for it to enable the cart.

So when I plug the charger in, the reed switch (magnet) is opened (deactivated), and the small white/red line does not receive power...so the controller disables everything.

That would explain 1 random red wire coming off the controller harness directly to a (+) on the battery.

I assume this also means that if I stomp on the gas while charging, it will drive and potentially cause other problems?
Old 04-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
Ok I think I understand after seeing the picture. So the small white/red wire needs power to the controller for it to enable the cart.

So when I plug the charger in, the reed switch (magnet) is opened (deactivated), and the small white/red line does not receive power...so the controller disables everything.

That would explain 1 random red wire coming off the controller harness directly to a (+) on the battery.

I assume this also means that if I stomp on the gas while charging, it will drive and potentially cause other problems?
If that red wire goes to the main + terminal, yes. If it goes to a + terminal on any of the other batteries, it is likely to be a 12V tap in the 36V battery pack for light or other 12V accessories.

Looping the charger cable through the steering wheel is what many people do after the reed switch is bypassed.

My cart came from factory with the reed switch eliminated and I've never had a problem driving away with charger connected since the charger plug sticks out and is in the way getting into the driver seat.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO