lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2020, 07:58 PM   #11
ccastilaw
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 97 club car DS - upgrading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Daddy View Post
30 is hauling butt on a golf cart (there are plenty of people here going faster though) I have a D&D speed motor and 22" tires and can get 29 but any type of hill slows it down. Your only chance of keeping most speed on hills will be a AC conversion so if thats high on your list you should research getting that done more, though a lipo pack will lightnen the load and help with that.

High speed gears would kill the torque on a stock motor, if you have hills around I would probably avoid it.
What D&D motor do you have? I think it would cost me alot more to try and get to an AC conversion since its a series cart. (From what I am told) I am ok with losing speed on the hills as long as its not crawling up them, and when I say hills I really mean slight inclines in the neighborhood. My brother in laws cart would get passed by snails at the main road in our neighborhood....dont want that lol.
ccastilaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2020, 08:12 AM   #12
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am using the 170-007-0002 motor. Since I have had it I have only been around my neighborhood which is flat and all pavement. The only inclines you get here are to make sure the storm drains and sewers flow. With just myself on it, and im a big guy, the slight incline/decline can make a ±1mph difference when I have the family on it can make a ±2mph (maybe 3) difference and the wind has a big effect on speed so I imagine any decent hill would take off at least 8mph.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:53 PM   #13
ccastilaw
Not Yet Wild

Ok so so far here is what I have narrowed things down to.

48v Lipo 105ah upgrade (95lbs)
2ga Wire upgrade
HD F&D switch upgrade
HD Solenoid upgrade
Navitas 600a controller with on the fly remote (tuned for stock motor at first until I can decide on motor and get it)

Then motor upgrade once I decide. I have talked with Robby at Plum quick who suggested the RattleSnake but for $725 I am not sure if I want to drop that much on the motor. The D&D 170-007-0002 suggested by Jake_Daddy looks like a good option and is about $440 on different sites. I have also looked at the Admiral motors, I just cant decide which will be best for what I am looking to do. I want to get up to around 30 MPH but not lose any torque and possible gain some. I know the Lipo pack will help with a good bit of weight but I am unsure of how much of a different that will make.

With the RattleSnake it looks like I can deff get to 30 MPH with the 22" tires and gain torgue, but again the price tag.
With the D&D I find conflicting information, some sites say it increases torque by 5% to 15% while others say it descreses. I also need to make sure it will be ok with the 600a controller.

Any thoughts on these motor?
Old 07-31-2020, 09:23 AM   #14
97ccds-custom
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The Bandit upgrade would be the most affordable option. You send PlumQuick your 36V series motor and $275 plus shipping, then they do some magic and get you more torque and speed. Then if it's not enough you have a nice motor you can resell to cut down on your cost to upgrade to the Rattlesnake.
97ccds-custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:18 PM   #15
ccastilaw
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ccds-custom View Post
The Bandit upgrade would be the most affordable option. You send PlumQuick your 36V series motor and $275 plus shipping, then they do some magic and get you more torque and speed. Then if it's not enough you have a nice motor you can resell to cut down on your cost to upgrade to the Rattlesnake.
I have the 48v 3.1hp motor, does the bandit upgrade work with that one as well?
Old 07-31-2020, 04:33 PM   #16
97ccds-custom
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Should work fine. https://plumquick.com/bandit-electric-motor-golf-cart/

I think all Club Car DS motors from that time are 36/48V since I believe all Series carts from 97 were 36V originally. At least that was the case with my 97 CC DS.

With the Bandit upgrade they advertise 25% increase in torque with everything else stock, but if you are replacing everything else you should see more speed and torque. I have the Bandit with 22" tires a 5" lift and get 21mph. On a slight decline in my neighborhood it easily get 31mph with the resistor coils and a 48V solenoid. I'm planning an Alltrax SR-48500 controller upgrade very soon.
97ccds-custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:08 AM   #17
ccastilaw
Not Yet Wild

Well I pulled the trigger on the Lipo Pack. I ended up with the RoyPow 105ah 48v. So far I am very pleased with the outcome, I slapped it into the cart in a temporary setup for now to just get it running but hoping to do something more permenant later. Family and I drove it around some yesterday and battery never dropped below full bars. Ordering motor, controller and other upgrades today.

Also I am looking at seats for it, does anyone know if you can get the single head for the front seats like the prescedent? Anyone have some good recommendations for a rear seat?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200804_220820.jpg (90.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-07-2020, 09:30 AM   #18
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Nothing wrong with a PQ rattlesnake , I been running it for 7 years. I have a 700 amp controller and easily breaking 30 mph on 23's. If it makes you feel any better I paid 700.00 7 yrs ago , so not much price increase in that time. If it died today I'd be ordering another tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #19
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Congrats on the RoyPow! I am struggling with one of these versus FLA's (I have nothing so I have to buy something!). Cost is obviously the biggest hurdle........ :(
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #20
ccastilaw
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Congrats on the RoyPow! I am struggling with one of these versus FLA's (I have nothing so I have to buy something!). Cost is obviously the biggest hurdle........ :(
Agreed, I was hesitant because of the price but when I look at the cost of Lead acid yes its cheaper but the last a 1/3rd of the time a lipo will or more. So since I had to get some I went Lipo, mainly because I didnt want to water batteries and the weight.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car