lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Default Making a murder wagon: 2017 Club Car Build

Hello all,

I found this message board while doing research for my first golf cart build. I was hoping you could look over my plan and shoot some holes in it, or give me a shove and tell me to start building.

The primary use of this cart will be for hog hunting. We drive with night vision and thermal goggles, find pigs, then stalk up to them on foot and shoot them in the face. Most times, we leave the pigs where they lay (we process plenty of the meat, but what I mean is that we do not need to haul all the dead pigs somewhere in the cart). A lot of the driving will be ranch roads, which vary in quality. Some of the driving will be completely off road. Usually, only 1 shooter will need to be accommodated. However it would be nice if the cart could seat up to 4 shooters on rare occasions. We hunt about 8 hours at a time, covering no more than 10 miles. Usually I’d guess we cover about half that. Right now, I’m doing all this with my Z71, but I want something that’s quieter, and doesn’t have a front windshield.

The secondary use of the cart will be in our neighborhood at home, just milling around in the evenings having fun. Having a cart that can “do both” will make this a much easier sell with SWMBO.

My hunting truck is a 2004 half-ton 4x4 with a 6-foot bed, though it does have a tool box. Currently, my plan is to use these Mad Ramps to transport the cart from home 30 mins to my hunting property. Website: madramps. com/golf-cart-loading-ramps/

I am attaching a quote I received from a local builder. The base cart came straight off a golf course. As spec'd it currently $5350. I suspect that's negotiable. Please let me know if you think I should go a different direction on any of this.

EDIT: The website is telling me I cannot post links until I have been a member for 7 days. If someone will PM me, I can send the photo link for the build sheet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 4.23.33 PM.jpg (19.4 KB, 0 views)
HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Making a murder wagon: 2017 Club Car Build

I would highly recommend that you get a high torque motor with new controller and 2 gage cable. Going slow with large tires as used with any type of hunting will burn out your factory motor very quickly. I know it costs extra money but worth the price in the long run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

I agree with Bobbob. That cart as shown is not going to give you what you need for hunting. I hog hunted from mine for 5 years but it was on flat ground with good roads. Cart did make it easy to be stealth and get much closer than I could on a ATV. But, with a stock motor, controller, solenoid and cables I was limited off-road. In muddy green fields and muddy bogs I had to pray I'd get through it and not have to call my husband at 2:00 a.m. to come pull me out. I had fairly aggressive 23" tires, 6" lift and rear sear. All of those things will do nothing but tax a stock cart in your situation.
Recently, I replaced the motor with one that is high torque by FSIP, installed new 500a controller, 400a solenoid and 2 g cables. I cannot tell you the difference!! It's amazing! I had no idea I would gain this much speed and torque.
Knowing what you need I can tell you that you'll never be happy with the cart you're looking at now. It will be pretty with nice rim but you'll be really angry the first time you try to make it through a cut-over and you're stuck on limbs with your tires just spinning and slinging mud.
Try to find a good used older cart that you can upgrade. Good Luck!
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:14 PM   #4
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
It will be pretty with nice rim
Thanks. You had nothing but nods from me until this part ^^ though. I told the guy I wanted the most boring, basic wheels possible. He wrote "black steal wheels" on the build sheet, which, I think, we all know what that means.

Do your and Bobbob's suggestions make starting with a 2017 club car straight off the golf course a losing proposition? I'm assuming the old motor, controller, and cable will have zero value.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #5
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I got an old CC for free and will probably have in it what you were quoted building it up myself, exactly the way I want it (depends on if I do the RoyPow or not, which will most likely blow the budget!). I think you'd be better off finding an older cart and making the upgrades needed for what you are trying to accomplish, especially if you are somewhat handy.
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:53 PM   #6
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yes, losing proposition, IMHO. As I explained, I've been there, done that and that cart won't do what you need it to do. It will take an additional $1,200.00 or so to upgrade. Not sure of exact value of old motor and controller but worth only a small amount in the scheme of things. Personally, I would never pay that much for a cart that I was going to upgrade.

Also, being "straight off a golf course" is not necessarily a good thing. There are several threads on this forum about how much abuse those carts receive.
There's a thread on the forum about the current prices of used and new carts and the fact the prices have really jumped and supply is limited due to the covid situation. For a time parts were backordered due to everyone working on their carts while in quarantine. Not sure if this backorder is still a problem.
So, this may not be the best time to buy a good used cart.

One thing I would recommend is to look beyond the nice shiny cover on a used cart. You need to get on your back up under the cart and see what it looks like. Is there rust everywhere, news welds, bends that have been straightened......

OK, I get the plain steel rims. My bad. :o)

IF you decide to go the upgrade route, the Alltrax controller had an optional control box you install on the dash and allows you to set custom speed/torque for up to 2 or 3 drivers, I think. This way SWMBO can get a slower gentler ride around the neighborhood. If you have children you can limit the speed they achieve. Might be a good selling point to SWMBO.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #7
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
Also, being "straight off a golf course" is not necessarily a good thing. There are several threads on this forum about how much abuse those carts receive.
I did not include that information as a positive; was just trying to accurately describe the base cart. I've played a little golf—trust me I know what those carts get put through. Given the build sheet says the cart will be fully serviced, I was expecting the dealer to identify and remedy any issues. But thanks for the warning. Duly noted.

Quote:
IF you decide to go the upgrade route, the Alltrax controller had an optional control box you install on the dash and allows you to set custom speed/torque for up to 2 or 3 drivers, I think. This way SWMBO can get a slower gentler ride around the neighborhood. If you have children you can limit the speed they achieve. Might be a good selling point to SWMBO.
Is there a package on this website you'd recommend? I have a call into Revolution as well. If this stuff is all just plug-and-play, I will have time to do it myself. If it takes real golf cart experience, I just don't have the free time to teach myself and will have to pay for install (not a deal breaker).
www .revolutiongolfcars. com/search-results-page/controller

EDIT: Ugh, this forum still won't let me post links. Remove the spaces to go to the page.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #8
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

I purchased the Level 4 upgrade kit from Revolutions.

It's definitely not plug and play. I do not consider the installation difficult but I did have to reach out to this forum for assistance on a few things. I've never worked on a golf cart before and was able to do it but only after I studied the installation procedure more times than I want to admit.

It takes times removing the old parts and installing the new and being sure all the new cables and old wiring are correct. Your cart may involve removing some of the old wiring and/or OBC. You would need some good sockets, wrenches, couple of small drill bits and drill, wire cutter and a good crimping tool. A inch/pound torque wrench is also good to have.

It sounds like you might be better off getting someone to do the upgrade for you since time is an issue. Others may disagree with me.

Good luck to you and please keep up informed of your decision and progress on your project.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:40 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I have zero experience with any other cart except my EZ-GO 2000 TXT. Mine is used 90% for hunting here in Southwestern Pennsylvania....where hills are hills and mountains are mountains!

I hunt pretty much gas well roads or logging roads or clear cut power\gas line cuts. Some of these hills can be 50 degree or more steep. Get GOOD mudder tires to climb hills like that.

My cart still has the same D&D torque motor that came with it. I upgraded the Alltrax controller (because of stupidity--my part-- with the first one).

Of course, I now run a lithium pack.

I have winches on the front and back in case I get into "stupid mud" but mostly I use 'em for dragging deer out of the woods. I'm disabled so I need a dependable machine and winches to help me out. I carry an additional 50' of winch nylon cable for getting to a tough deer down.

The low speed torque motor has served me very well over the last ten years. If your hunting, it's not speed in getting there it's the ability to get there quietly. I've snuck up on deer, fox, pheasant, and I can get close to a flock of turkeys....but man, those birds can hear and see just too good!!

With my hills here I cannot do without front disc brakes. Factory drum brakes will not stop the cart on steep downhills.

Also, get an LED light bar for those times when you appreciate daylight at 12:00 midnight.

IMHO, a 6" front long travel is a must as those roads are not paved and your kidneys will thank you.

Steel wheels are fine as that's what I have.....I paint 'em either black or green. Camo or a dark flat green or black is sort of a must if you want any kind of blend in.

I have a rear seat for when my grandkids are here in the summer....but come hunting season the seat is gone and replaced with either nothing...or a piece of plywood. Nothing like field dressing a deer when I don't have to be on my knees. (Remember....disabled)

Rifle rack is very nice but make sure it's braced at the top. If not....bumpy places will cause the rack to whip left and right. I had a rifle tossed out once before I had the brace fab-ed up.

Anyway...that's all I can think of for now.

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #10
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Would this be a good donor cart to start building from?

https://austin.craigslist.org/snw/d/...183888932.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car