lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default What shouldn't I mount on the frame?

Starting to do the layout of the new parts on my cart and found what appears (so far) a perfect spot for my resistor. Since I am not the worlds greatest electrician, I started wondering if anything should be rubber bushed and not contact the frame and this stood out (I don't see any reason why I couldn't mount stuff like the controller or charger, but this seems iffy for some reason).

Am I okay to mount directly and is there anything that I should not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor location?.jpg (144.5 KB, 0 views)
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: What shouldn't I mount on the frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Starting to do the layout of the new parts on my cart and found what appears (so far) a perfect spot for my resistor. Since I am not the worlds greatest electrician, I started wondering if anything should be rubber bushed and not contact the frame and this stood out (I don't see any reason why I couldn't mount stuff like the controller or charger, but this seems iffy for some reason).

Wrote "resistor" and meant solenoid and now I can't edit
Old 09-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Wrote "resistor" and meant solenoid ....
My solenoid is directly mounted on the bulkhead panel between the battery compartment and the OBC/controller.
The bulkhead panel is bolted to the frame, so electrically there is no problem mounting it directly to the frame.
The solenoid activation coil and contacts are inside the solenoid housing and electrically isolated from the mounting bracket.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:59 PM   #4
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you! I suspect an easy answer for those of you who know, but I am not afraid to ask!

It's about 120* in my garage so my plans for getting some of this done today is moving very slowly......
Old 09-06-2020, 05:16 AM   #5
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:

You may be use to thinking about most gas operated vehicles which use a 12v chassis ground system where the neg battery cable is connected to the chassis and essentially the chassis itself becomes one big neg battery cable (AKA ground). The advantage here is there only has to be one wire from batt to each item (lights etc) which can then simply connect to the chassis to complete the circuit back to the battery.

Electric vehicles do not and should never use chassis ground because voltage is 36v or more. There should never be a wire from the battery connected to the chassis. For that reason, you can mount most anything to the frame without electrical issues.

On a car, if you touch battery positive or any hot wire to the frame (ground) you will get a direct short and huge arc leading to burned stuff and blown fuses.

On a properly wired cart, you can touch battery positive to the frame and nothing (should) happen.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #6
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks Rockford; you are correct and I am way more familiar with gas vehicles than electric! I saw a post somewhere where someone connected something to the frame and someone said something, which prompted me to ask. I would much rather ask a dumb question than make a dumb mistake!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car