lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
mcphatters
Not Yet Wild

Default Tried everything on backfiring

My Club Car runs great if it did not backfire after letting off gas. This only happens after cart is going down the road and then I let off the gas or ease up on the gas. When the cart is is maintenance mode sitting still it will not backfire doing the same things as I was going down the road. Really stumped, I have done everything I know to do which is new carb., adjust valves to spec., replace spark plug, fuel filter, bar-b-q muffler, installed new gaskets everywhere, checked throttle adjustment, checked air filter canister. What am I missing?
mcphatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Tried everything on backfiring

When the throttle pedal is released does the carb butterfly close COMPLETELY? Those carbs have an idle set screw: either remove it entirely or back it out till it's about flush & make sure your throttle cable adjustment allows the plate to close when at rest. Almost all the backfire conditions I've come across are from that throttle plate staying open while the engine spins down to a stop. Ignition (spark) grounds out instantly when you release the pedal. The movement of the piston as the engine spins down to a stop is still creating vacuum the same as if it was running. If the carb stays open that vacuum will draw in a burnable fuel/air mix that WON'T get burned - since there is no spark. That mix gets pushed to the exhaust. As soon as you hit the pedal again the new hot gases light the mix pooled up in the exhaust and BOOM.

Last edited by meimk; 11-01-2020 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: additional info
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
mcphatters
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for your response. Yes the butterfly is closing completely and yes I adjusted the the mixture screw on the old carb and the new carb. It does not matter which direction the carb is adjusted ( too lean or rich or just right ) the same end result happens. Also as stated it does not backfire at all sitting still doing the same thing such as revving and letting off the gas as in running position, it only backfires if driving. Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Check ans make sure the cable that runs from the Governor to the carb moves VERY freely with no resistance at all. This cable sticking some can cause this also.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:00 AM   #5
mcphatters
Not Yet Wild

It does run freely, thank you for your reply.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
chadwce
Not Yet Wild

I have a 1996 that backfired and I did everything. If I leaned it way down it stopped backfiring but was hard to start. Finally I disconnect the micro switch that is activated by the accelerator to kill the spark. No more backfire. It may run a tiny bit after stopping but it is barely noticeable. If it was a problem just shift to neutral or turn the key off.
chadwce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:53 AM   #7
The Penguin
Not Yet Wild

did you recently replace the throttle cable on the right side of the cart going into the box?

I had to replace mine last year and was advised by my local shop that if the cart started backfiring - that the cable was just a titch too long and to back it off at the 2-nuts (10mm nuts IIRC) on the passenger side of the control box.

sure enough, my cart started backfiring - just like yours, coming off full throttle.

try backing off the cable - it didn't take much, maybe 1/4 turn.
The Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:53 AM   #8
PT69
Not Yet Wild

My did this exact same thing and it turned out the Governor was the slightest of adjustment.. readjusted to factory specs..problem solved
PT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #9
SpartanDS
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT69 View Post
My did this exact same thing and it turned out the Governor was the slightest of adjustment.. readjusted to factory specs..problem solved
Where did you find the factory specs?
SpartanDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:03 AM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

#5 and #6...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Govadj.jpg (150.4 KB, 0 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car