lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
cinesage
Not Yet Wild

Default EzGo RXV 2017 downhill braking too harsh

Hello, we are new owners of a refurbished 2017 EzGo RXV and were initially 'sold' on the fact that it comes to a stop when one takes their foot off the pedal, vs. (e.g.) the TXT we already had.

However, we have a rather steep slope behind our home, and 'coasting' downhill without one's foot on either pedal is a bit too fast. The only problem is, when one engages the brake, even a tap, it brakes really hard and fast to a stop, making the ride down this slope either too fast or an unpleasant stop-start experience.

We had our dealer come out and attempt to make it better by adjusting the decelerate number (we are in Freedom mode) to 1. This didn't really slow the rate of descent downhill when neither foot is on either pedal. Additionally, it made taking one's foot off the pedal when traveling fast on a flat surface a bit too harsh as well.

I'm sure we're not the only one who have experienced this issue. Perhaps there are recommended settings in the software for a better balance that someone here could suggest my dealer try?
cinesage is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2021, 05:52 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EzGo RXV 2017 downhill braking too harsh

Sounds to me like it is acting normally. RXVs don't "coast" in the sense that "series" TXT's do. I have one of each. The RXV holds the speed at whatever you position the pedal at. When going down hill just release some of the pedal pressure until you reach the speed you want. If it doesn't slow enough just tap the brake a time or two but don't hold down the brake. If you release the pedal fully it will come to a stop as designed. The RXV will never "coast" when releasing the go pedal no mater the settings in the controller.
The driving experience is different than all the other carts and takes a little practice. Coming from an older TXT, I was thinking I might not like it but now that I'm used to it I like it much better. The cart is meant to be driven primarily with one pedal. I rarely touch the brake pedal anymore and if I do its just a tap or two if I'm not slowing fast enough. You will find that going from level to an incline the cart will still attempt to hold the speed commanded by your pedal position. No need to push down on the pedal like other carts. If you have a mower with hydrostatic drive it is the same idea.

I'm surprised the dealer didn't demonstrate that to you or I have completely misunderstood your problem.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:13 PM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinesage View Post
Hello, we are new owners of a refurbished 2017 EzGo RXV and were initially 'sold' on the fact that it comes to a stop when one takes their foot off the pedal, vs. (e.g.) the TXT we already had.

However, we have a rather steep slope behind our home, and 'coasting' downhill without one's foot on either pedal is a bit too fast. The only problem is, when one engages the brake, even a tap, it brakes really hard and fast to a stop, making the ride down this slope either too fast or an unpleasant stop-start experience.

We had our dealer come out and attempt to make it better by adjusting the decelerate number (we are in Freedom mode) to 1. This didn't really slow the rate of descent downhill when neither foot is on either pedal. Additionally, it made taking one's foot off the pedal when traveling fast on a flat surface a bit too harsh as well.

I'm sure we're not the only one who have experienced this issue. Perhaps there are recommended settings in the software for a better balance that someone here could suggest my dealer try?
The dealer does not know how to calibrate the braking. It is beyond their normal experience level. A Decel setting of 1 is the harshest!

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:45 AM   #4
cinesage
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
The driving experience is different than all the other carts and takes a little practice. Coming from an older TXT, I was thinking I might not like it but now that I'm used to it I like it much better. The cart is meant to be driven primarily with one pedal. I rarely touch the brake pedal anymore and if I do its just a tap or two if I'm not slowing fast enough. You will find that going from level to an incline the cart will still attempt to hold the speed commanded by your pedal position. No need to push down on the pedal like other carts. If you have a mower with hydrostatic drive it is the same idea.
Thanks for the explanation. I will try this today!
Old 07-01-2021, 07:48 AM   #5
cinesage
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
The dealer does not know how to calibrate the braking. It is beyond their normal experience level. A Decel setting of 1 is the harshest!
You may be right I think I talked him into that setting; I was thinking that I wanted the auto-braking to let the cart 'coast' down the hill and stop near the bottom, and at the higher Decel setting it wasn't stopping/slowing enough.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO