lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
december45
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo stopped working, here is what happened

The cart is a 1996 EZGO Serial # 96 4313, Man # H 2896

The cart is used on acreage, and is used for mostly work. It has been working fine, actually working good enough for me to mention to my wife how good it has been working.
Charged it yesterday, every thing looked normal, got a little meter on it that tells when the batteries are full, the charger automatically shut off just like it is supose to, every thing looked good. Backed it out of the garage, moved the lever to forward and its DEAD. Nothing.
So the batteries are up, the solenoid clicks, but that is all.
The following is concerning the diode and resistor located on the solenoid.
I am messing around, really not knowiing what to look for, and i drop the pliers and it hits the tiny wire for the "resistor" (located just below the "Diode) and I get a huge arc and the resistor wire breaks. The Arc, the best I can tell came from the Diode and the resistor. So now I have a resistor with a broken wire and it is NOT connected any more.
The cart amazingly works now, but I know i can't leave it like this, and advice or comments would be appreciated. Im not sure what the next step should be, or what the cause of the original "not working" situation.
My best guess is the solenoid is bad, but it seems to be working.
december45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2021, 04:44 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo stopped working, here is what happened

Sounds like you've got a DCS drive. If there is a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover, it is a DCS.

The resistor and diode assembly isn't needed to run cart.

The resistor charges the filter capacitors inside the controller so the solenoid contacts don't arc as much when they close, prolonging their live.

The diodes keep the motor (acting as a generator) connected to the battery pack so if the solenoid de-energizes during regen braking the generated voltage doesn't skyrocket and over-volt the controller.

A 270Ω 10W resistor can be used.
Diodes should be at least 6A.

--------------
The original problem might have been the Run switch on the F/R assembly. Or the controller might be going out.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:47 PM   #3
december45
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for getting back to me,
No Run/tow switch
Do you think I can just use it as is?
december45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by december45 View Post
Thanks for getting back to me,
No Run/tow switch
Do you think I can just use it as is?
No Run/Tow, so it is a series drive. A different animal.

The F/R lever buy the drivers knee is connected to the F/R switch assembly located in front of the controller by a rod.

If that is the case, I miss-read your post.

The resistor is a separate item and goes between the solenoid's large terminals while the diode (another separate item) goes between the small posts.

Resistor has the same function.

Diode protects the pedal switch from voltage spikes when solenoid coil de-energizes.

Cart will run without them, but new ones ought to eventually be installed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO