lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2021, 04:19 AM   #1
nzezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Exclamation Front axle hole alignment with steering gear box...

Hi all... I need to replace my steering box, but the only ones I see for sale are the ones with one bolt hole to the right and the two other bolt holes are to the left and directly aligned above and below each other. But, my steering box and front axle holes are aligned different... I have one to the right then the two to the left are not aligned directly above and below each other instead of offset from each other.

I have attached an image from the manual, which is like my holes and then also attached an image of the steering boxes I see for sale... the green dot is where my hole is. Anybody have this alignment issue? Do I just drill a new hole to accommodate?

Thanks for your input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210812_202204.jpg (88.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210812_202437.jpg (98.9 KB, 0 views)
nzezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2021, 08:33 AM   #2
AZgolfcartguy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Front axle hole alignment with steering gear box...

Don't drill any holes. What's the year and make of your cart?
AZgolfcartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:06 PM   #3
nzezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I believe it is a 2008 shuttle.

Built from a company here in NZ called Pan Pacific, which went out of business 10 years ago, but its all EZGO parts. The production date from Pan Pacific shows Jan 15 2008. It has dash F/R switch, 48v batts, 48v Curtis Controller 1268-5403. Here's a pic of my front axl and steering mech... (just had it sandblasted).

Also a pic of the shuttle...

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210813_160242.jpg (302.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 198351306_257714062820049_8488520659168486066_n.jpg (249.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-13-2021, 08:13 AM   #4
kofifi
Getting Wild

Im not sure your location however why not just get that axle part? They are a dime a dozen around me. Plenty of people who lifted their carts have them just sitting around.
kofifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:32 AM   #5
Sideways
Gone Wild

Is rebuilding your current steering box an option?
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:44 AM   #6
nzezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I think I'll just have to do the best with what Ive got. I'm in New Zealand, so getting a heavy metal part shipped here costs twice as much as the part itself. Would love to purchase a lift kit and get some 14" rims and tires but would be quite the expense.

Cheers!
Old 08-16-2021, 05:55 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Is that new steering rack you pictured advertised as fitting the EZGO TXT models? It may fit by some modification to the Axle as you suggest by drilling a hole, but i would do a bit more research first.

In all my years working on EZGO TXT based carts i have never seen a rack with offset mounting points.

I wonder if your cart is really a genuine EZGO, as around and before the year of your cart, there were many clones being produced and exported. A lot of parts were slightly different to genuine EZGO ones due to copyright issues and although people are told that EZGO parts will fit, many did not without modification. Many parts sold out of the orient for Carts were poor copies and lots of people were very disappointed with them. You will find stories all over the internet saying as much.
Is there any parts on your cart with the EZGO logo on them such as the rear bumper and front cowl badge. Any labels on the dash or elsewhere with the Logo?

The market is still swamped with non genuine parts and people are tempted by the lower prices, but fall foul of the poor quality of them.

I would suggest that you do the best with what you can get by modifying the axle, due to parts sourcing difficulties where you are. It is after all, just a hole

[ EDIT ]

You should be able to find wheels locally sourced that fit the offset and stud pattern on your cart, and with a little ingenuity build your own lift kit. The rear should be simple enough by dropping the axle below the springs and using spacer blocks, and the front is doable with a bit of thought. Blocks between the front springs and the mounting points on the chassis with longer bolts, along with extending the lower steering shaft is one option.

Another option is to do the rear as already suggested, and for the front, graft on the front end of a Quad bike ( if thats what you call them over there! ) That would also solve your steering rack issue by using the one from the bike. Then just modify / fabricate the lower steering shaft to suit. Look around the forum, plenty of people have done just that.

Hope this helps.

[EDIT FYI ]

This image from the EZGO official shop shows a genuine axle and it seems to show the extra hole, so i dont see why you cannot just drill to suit.

txtaxle.jpg
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:50 AM   #8
nzezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks mate... definitely nothing "ezgo" on it... but very very similar parts. Going to keep what I have. Been seeing the "economical lift kits", seems something I could get my local welder to build. I did read that there are some cars that have the same 4 stud wheel pattern, but then our golf wheels have a huge inset unlike cars. Will do my research. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO