lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2021, 06:59 AM   #21
biphase
Gone Wild

Default Re: Regen1 or Regen2 ?

The most common failure modes of that controller are:

1. Failure of the solenoid driver transistor. If the solenoid clicks when you transition from TOW to RUN or when you step on the pedal, the solenoid driver is OK and the OBC is not disabling the controller.

2. Failure of one or both F1 and F2 outputs. There is a simple bench test you can perform with an ohmeter to test F1 and F2 but it requires that cables be removed and no voltage on the controller.

3. Failure of armature driver output A2. This failure is pretty rare but does happen sometimes. Again, there is a simple bench test for this as well.

To perform the bench tests you will need a volt/ohm meter that has a diode testing scale.
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2021, 07:18 AM   #22
biphase
Gone Wild

Unless modified, these carts have two solenoids... one main solenoid for connecting B+ and a second solenoid with a coil across it for "dynamic braking". BOTH solenoids should engage when you step on the pedal. The controller has two solenoid driver transistors, one for each solenoid. If ONLY the braking solenoid engages, the cart will not run.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:13 AM   #23
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I get a click when I switch from TOW to RUN. I get a click when I hit the pedal, but it sounds like a click with an immediate unclick. The "unclick" isnt coming from the main solenoid because it is holding good connection to the controller and reading zero across the big terminals. Also, with the cart in RUN and switched off, no pedal, if I roll the cart across the floor I get the click for braking, but no resistance from the motor, rolls easy. I am reading zero from F1 or F2 at any time.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:33 AM   #24
biphase
Gone Wild

If you would like to perform the bench tests on the controller, I can guide you through the procedure. You will have to completely disconnect the controller and briefly short the B+ and B- terminals together to discharge any residual charge on the internal capacitors. You will need to make a series of measurements using the diode scale on your meter.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:03 PM   #25
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by biphase View Post
If you would like to perform the bench tests on the controller, I can guide you through the procedure. You will have to completely disconnect the controller and briefly short the B+ and B- terminals together to discharge any residual charge on the internal capacitors. You will need to make a series of measurements using the diode scale on your meter.
I surrendered and quit. Had the owner come pick it up. I told him it had a bad controller and I couldn't fix it. I've got too much mileage and years on me to let something like that drive me back to strong distilled spirits. Crown Royal's been sitting on the shelf with a rope around it for 11 years. Thanks for the input but it's more than I want to dig into any farther.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:01 PM   #26
biphase
Gone Wild

Old 09-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #27
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

In the words of Dirty Harry-"a man's gotta know his limitations".

Good for you for walking away from it!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:55 PM   #28
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just as an update to close out this thread, the cart is fixed and running. Whenever the owner picked it up I told him that I felt like it had to be a bad controller, but I wasn't sure enough to make the call to put a new one on it. I showed him where there was a brand new numbers matching controller on eBay and he ordered it. Installed and running like new. It had to be. I had checked everything else. https://www.ebay.com/itm/38309117134....c100290.m3507
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car