lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2021, 07:28 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Digital voltage gauge install

This is how I’ve dropped the factory dummy light and installed a digital battery meter. Everyone has their own methods but this is how I go about it.

First disconnect the pack negative and positive terminals before ever doing any work on the cart. If your cart has a run/tow switch, also flip that to tow mode. (This cart is a 1999 series cart so no switch).

There’s 2 ways to wire it. Either hot all the time, this will leave the meter on in your dash 24/7. Usually not a big deal, the current draw of the meter is very low so it will take months for it to kill the batteries.

Or you can wire it to the key switch. I prefer the key switch (that’s how I wired it here) but the process is generally the same for hot… you’ll just run a wire from the pack positive AND the pack negative. Since I am running off the key switch, I’m using the power wire at the key switch and only need to run a wire from the pack negative.

Make sure to protect your wires. I happened to be wiring a light kit at the same time, so i pulled the ground wire inside the light harness and only have to run one harness up front for everything.

The factory wiring harness is in gray split loom. Always try and follow the factory harness when possible. Not only have they done their research and run it safely away from moving parts, but it also gives you something solid to zip tie your wiring to anywhere you want, so your wiring is also secured tightly and not hanging down below the cart.

Once at the dash plate, loosen the Philips screw on either side. You don’t have to completely remove them, just loosen them up and slide the dash out of the way.
I used an eyelet on the power wire to attach it to the switches wire on the key switch.

I also chose to remove the dummy light, cut the hole out bigger, and install my new gauge where the light came from. Honestly, it’s cold, my garage isn’t heated, and the meter fits nicely but the hole isn’t anything to be proud of. A hungry beaver could have done a neater job so I didn’t take a picture This is also a good time to put a piece of tape over the reverse buzzer to quiet it down.

Then plug the meter in, reconnect the battery terminals and set it all up. I also like to test the pack + and - with a meter so I’ve got a good reference of how accurate the meter is. Surprisingly this one seems to be pretty accurate. But depending on the age of the cart and the key switch, and how dirty the contacts of the key switch are, it’s pretty common to see the voltage on the gauge about 0.2 volts or so less than measuring directly at the battery pack itself. I got lucky here, this key switch must be pretty new

This really is a simple basic installation but if you have any questions I’ll help if I can :)
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2021, 07:30 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Digital voltage gauge install

More pics
Old 11-23-2021, 06:58 PM   #3
Camaro69
Gone Wild

Good job.

Like the idea of pulling the idiot light and making that hole larger and the dual percentage of battery as well as the voltage.

Thought you had a 3rd wire for the key switch then re-read again and saw that you used the red positive for the key switch instead of the main battery.

Can you run this without the temp gauge showing?

Thanks
Camaro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:29 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If have to double check, but you can show either voltage (I think) or temperature but not both at the same time. Temp only displays in C and I’m not from kanuckistan so I don’t care about the temp anyway. It’s a golf cart, I’m pretty well aware if it’s cold or warm

With this particular (cheap) gauge, if you hook it to the key switch, it won’t retain the memory of battery full or empty settings, so the percentage doesn’t really work. I’ll probably move it to the other lug on the key switch so it’s on all the time and remembers everything. It only draws a few mA so not a big deal.

If you’re just using a voltage only display like scottyb has or other places, I always go to the key switch (that’s how it is on my other DS, but I also have a renogy meter that’s on all the time).
Old 11-24-2021, 07:25 PM   #5
Camaro69
Gone Wild

I ended up buying this one that does shows voltage and percent of battery life at the same time. In your case, why not just run the positive wire to the main battery if it's going to be on all the time anyway?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-24-2021, 07:35 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro69 View Post
I ended up buying this one that does shows voltage and percent of battery life at the same time. In your case, why not just run the positive wire to the main battery if it's going to be on all the time anyway?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I just did it the way I did because I usually just get voltage and only want it on with the key. But if I were doing this again I’d wire both leads straight to the batteries
Old 11-26-2021, 07:15 PM   #7
Camaro69
Gone Wild

HMMM???

Been thinking and yes I know that's dangerous.

If you could hook up the red positive to the key switch is there a black ground within the dash to avoid running the black wire to the main ground on the batteries?
Old 11-26-2021, 08:28 PM   #8
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
HMMM???

Been thinking and yes I know that's dangerous.

If you could hook up the red positive to the key switch is there a black ground within the dash to avoid running the black wire to the main ground on the batteries?
The only B- in the dash is to the reverse horn. And that only gets B- when in reverse.

You will need to run a B- to the battery pack or you can pick it up at the charger port. That's about it.

You can get this wire by the foot and run it along the main harness:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...3199/204725192

And if you just run the two wires directly to the meter and the other two ends directly to the battery, with a fuse inline if you want (not necessary), the meter will be on all the time. Black is - and red is +.

It is nice to walk by the cart and always see the voltage 24-7.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:26 PM   #9
Camaro69
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
The only B- in the dash is to the reverse horn. And that only gets B- when in reverse.

You will need to run a B- to the battery pack or you can pick it up at the charger port. That's about it.

You can get this wire by the foot and run it along the main harness:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...3199/204725192

And if you just run the two wires directly to the meter and the other two ends directly to the battery, with a fuse inline if you want (not necessary), the meter will be on all the time. Black is - and red is +.

It is nice to walk by the cart and always see the voltage 24-7.
Just picked up the wire (link) at Home Depot and should be installed tomorrow. While this meter will be a direct wire hook up, there is a shut off button on it.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2021, 04:44 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Just picked up the wire (link) at Home Depot and should be installed tomorrow. While this meter will be a direct wire hook up, there is a shut off button on it.

Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car