lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2021, 08:23 PM   #1
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Can I put a 2017 48v motor on a 1987 36v cart?

I see alot of cheaper used motors from stock 2000s club cars. Can I get one of these and gain speed and frankly just have a newer motor?

I currently have a 1987 club car with the original 36 volt motor, but I've upgraded to alltrax solid state 48v setup. I'm thinking this would be a nice simple and cheap option.
LEMANSZ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2021, 11:15 AM   #2
greg-g
Gone Wild

Default Re: Can I put a 2017 48v motor on a 1987 36v cart?

If it is an SR controller and a sepex motor no.
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Im not sure about the lingo to be honest. Its an alltrax controller, and the motor is from factory.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’m gonna go with no, unless you have substantial upgrades on your 1987 to convert to sepex. If you aren’t sure what that means, then you probably haven’t done it.

All 1987’s were series wound motors. This means your forward/reverse switch is a large, high current switch. They stopped making series carts in the mid 2000’s

So that would make the 2017 motor a sepex cart. Completely different motor design, and not compatible with a series controller and series wired cart. Sepex carts have a push button switch to select forward and reverse, amongst many many other differences.

It’s about the equivalent of comparing a tube TV to a LED flat screen tv. They both show pretty moving pictures and make noise but very very different in the technology is applied to how they make that pretty picture for you to sit in front of while flattening your butt and fattening your gut

Just to add, even if the newer motor WAS from a newer series wound cart, switching from your original 36v motor to the newer 48v motor, it’s going to be noticeably slower. Most people with 48v series carts would gladly install a 36v motor if they can find one, that upgrade is generally considered a “poor man’s speed motor”.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:47 PM   #5
BballBeast
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEMANSZ20 View Post
Im not sure about the lingo to be honest. Its an alltrax controller, and the motor is from factory.
He is talking about separately excited motor (sepex). Which is in the regenerate braking models of club car I believe started in 1995. The alltrax SR controller only works with series DC motors. You can't run SR controller with sepex motor

Also I believe they say that the 36 volt motors will produce more power with 48 volts than the 48 volt motor will. If your going to change the motor out you might as well get a high speed motor or motor that will suit your needs. How fast does your cart currently run with your setup?

I just started learning about electric carts so I'm definitely no expert but reading through the forums really helped me understand a lot. Someone with more knowledge will give a better answer.
BballBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:39 PM   #6
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballBeast View Post
He is talking about separately excited motor (sepex). Which is in the regenerate braking models of club car I believe started in 1995. The alltrax SR controller only works with series DC motors. You can't run SR controller with sepex motor

Also I believe they say that the 36 volt motors will produce more power with 48 volts than the 48 volt motor will. If your going to change the motor out you might as well get a high speed motor or motor that will suit your needs. How fast does your cart currently run with your setup?

I just started learning about electric carts so I'm definitely no expert but reading through the forums really helped me understand a lot. Someone with more knowledge will give a better answer.
Right now I am getting around 16 to 17. I honestly feel like after the install, maybe I need to call alltrax as I might not be getting all the speed. The thing i was worried about is when i install the pb6 throttle box, when its fully engaged, it doesnt seem to go all the way when i press the pedal.

I was told this is something normal and that the alltrax will adjust itself and be able to realize im pressing the pedal in full. Just doesnt seem to feel like that.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:38 PM   #7
BballBeast
Not Yet Wild

Don't think adjusting the controller will help much with top speed. Higher amps = more torque. Sounds like the pot box ain't adjusted properly like your saying. I don't know much about those so I'll leave that to the experts. What size tires do u have? Are you looking to gain higher top speed? If so upgrading to 48 volt motor likely won't do that from my understanding. Series motors can be set or high torque or high speed so depends on what your trying to get out of the cart.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:05 PM   #8
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

HONESTLY, i am just hoping for 18 mph fully loaded, with 20 max. I never wanted much, I prefer reliability as we just use it for fort wilderness and driving around my neighborhood.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:56 PM   #9
BballBeast
Not Yet Wild

Well if that's the case I'd just stick with the stock motor and add bigger tires. Taller tire will make the top speed higher. Smaller tire will give it more torque. If your getting 16mph now with stock 18 inch tall tires, then adding taller tires will get you close to the 18 mph.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:15 PM   #10
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballBeast View Post
Well if that's the case I'd just stick with the stock motor and add bigger tires. Taller tire will make the top speed higher. Smaller tire will give it more torque. If your getting 16mph now with stock 18 inch tall tires, then adding taller tires will get you close to the 18 mph.
What wheel and tire size would you recommend?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car