lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2022, 09:20 AM   #1
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Default Identification Data

Good Morning!

I've found the Serial Number on this Cart, but where is the Year and or Model Number? I need to get started renovating!

Thanks, Bruce

Ok... So dummy me finally noticed the 'sticky' describing how to decipher the Serial number! Sorry to be a bother, now on to the Wiring Diagram!

Thanks again, Bruce
BrucecurB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2022, 10:02 AM   #2
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

So... I may have spoke too soon. There is no 'Legend' for that wiring diagram! I even found a more legible copy of it online, but still no legend.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Bruce
Old 03-23-2022, 07:23 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Identification Data

Mystery cart?

Can't help if we don't know what ya got.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:48 PM   #4
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Ha! FairTax4me, Old folks (myself) are so lame!

It's an AG model Gas Golf Cart, 1999 vintage!

Thanks, Bruce
Old 03-28-2022, 01:20 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...p?t=926&page=2

Not sure what kind of a “legend” you’re looking for. It’s a pretty self explanatory diagram.

Unless by “legend” you’re referring to fairtax. In which case we’re all in agreement
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:03 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 11:53 AM   #7
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to you both! That does make it easier to see for we of the Bifocal Generation...

Now a couple of 'Techie' questions:

A) Solenoid - I need one! Is this something Club Car specific or a generic Automotive piece. On the surface, it looks identical to a Ford vehicle solenoid.

B) Orientation - The existing Solenoid is not marked as to it's Terminal Identification.

The Saga continues....
Thanks , Bruce
Old 03-28-2022, 12:01 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You need a continuous duty solenoid. Get one from a. Golf cart shop or order one from www.revolutiongolfcars.com to get an oem one from David. Stay away from the cheap Chinese ones on Amazon and eBay. They’re garbage and I’ve almost had carts catch fire from a defective solenoid… not worth saving a few bucks.

An automotive solenoid will burn up as they’re only meant to be “on” for a few seconds to start the engine. When energized, these allow current to not only flow TO the starter/gen to start the motor, but once it’s running it stays closes and allows current to flow FROM the starter/gen to charge the battery. Any time the cart is running, the solenoid is energized. You’ll be lucky to get a week out of an automotive solenoid because it’s not designed to work all the time.

Orientation really is not important. There’s 2 small terminals and 2 large terminals. It’s just basically a really big SPST relay. A relay is basically a “switch” that allows a low current device (pedal, key, etc) to operate a high current device (starter/gen). The 2 small terminals are the coil/electromagnet. This is the low current side of the relay, couple hundred milliamperes or so. When one side is grounded and the other side gets power, it turns on and pulls the large contact closed and allows current to flow through the high amperage side. One of the large posts goes to the battery and the other goes to the starter/gen. When the large co facts close, the starter gen is connected to the battery.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:10 PM   #9
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

CP241, bundles of thanks!

I'm 199% with you on the Chink Junk parts, no worry there! I managed an Auto Parts store for 'too long' and fought that fight over and over... 'I can get one cheaper' does not impress me! However, a buddy works in Service for a CASE equipment dealer, and if he can get one through their parts department it will be quality. Just need to verify that he has access to a continuous duty.

I wasn't sure on the wiring, there are similar solenoids that Ground through the Base and one of the small terminals activate the Coil, while the other is 'HOT' only when the Solenoid is also active.

Thanks again!
Bruce
Old 03-28-2022, 02:15 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucecurB View Post
CP241, bundles of thanks!

I'm 199% with you on the Chink Junk parts, no worry there! I managed an Auto Parts store for 'too long' and fought that fight over and over... 'I can get one cheaper' does not impress me! However, a buddy works in Service for a CASE equipment dealer, and if he can get one through their parts department it will be quality. Just need to verify that he has access to a continuous duty.

I wasn't sure on the wiring, there are similar solenoids that Ground through the Base and one of the small terminals activate the Coil, while the other is 'HOT' only when the Solenoid is also active.

Thanks again!
Bruce
These solenoids should be isolated from the mounting plate on the bottom.

Coincidentally this is how I had one catch fire. The battery + lug somehow shorted to the mounting plate internally, the mounting plate which wad screwed to the chassis of a cart. Essentially creating a dead short to ground. Yeah, she was sizzling and making noises while trying to weld itself to the chassis
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car